About Triples

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Car, Jul 21, 2010.

1. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    They had me pull a set to that customer that loads pups for us again. Instead of going the way they've been having us go I went the legal route. It takes exactly 60 minutes instead of the 40 minutes doing it their way. I figure I'll see if they have anything to say. I've decided that I'm just not going to run it the wrong way. If someone hit me even if it wasn't my fault I as well as the company could be sued because legally I wasn't supposed to be there if I'm running on an illegal route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kimoyo

kimoyo Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's sounds really messed up. Did you ask what he meant by get caught since its your license? What type of supervisor was this? I guess your doing the right thing by just running legal and waiting for someone to say something but I wouldn't be afraid of speaking up in a situation like that. That's really messed up, I can't see Con-way supporting that idea, you should send the guy an email innocently asking for clarification.

4. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Lol.. The only thing we ever hooked and moved in the yard that wasn't road legal was a set of 4 - there was a legit reason though. There was a set of triples in the yard with an empty on the back of two loads - the third load was gonna be the lead so we hooked it and he pulled 4 around to the empty line to break off the empty. Much easier than hooking twice.

5. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

Guess what, the ticket is written in your name and takes 2 years to come off your safety stats if I was told correctly. Nice that they can be so cavalier with your reputation.:biggrin_25513:

I got a written warning the other day for being on a 3/4 ton limit bridge. (only from 6am to 10pm until construction is finished) :biggrin_25526:

That is on my record now.

6. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Just read this.. Where did you get this from? I've probably had no less than 20 tickets in Va for being overweight on my drive axle in the last 2 years (no scale at some facilities).. I signed for all the tickets but they were made out to Con-way Freight.. In fact, they have a sheet of company addresses and we were number 1..haha..

One of my tickets was for being 5100 lbs over on the drives at the Springfield, Va scale.. I signed the ticket addressed to Freight and was able to proceed and was told to produce the ticket if I was stopped at another Va scale.. I was stopped years ago in Ohio and had to make the set legal before I could go - flipped my lead and kite, scaled legal, and away I went with 10K more in the back box..

Do I now have 20 plus strikes against me?? Where in the hell do you drivers come up with some of this stuff?? Every one of my tickets went the same way - they were made out to the company and I signed for it as the representative of the company - handed it to the morning staff and it was paid by the company..

Let's here a driver now tell me they don't have a license after getting 4 over-weight tickets.. I'm waiting for that but I'm not kidding when I say I have had no less than 20 since not all of our facilities have scales.. I am a Freight loser so I don't have tall stories from the road but I do have a boat load of over-weights that don't show up on any record I'm aware of..lol..

7. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Jake,
    I imagine he is referring to CSA 2010. Everything is now held against the driver. Warnings, equipment deficiencies, and I imagine overweights also. 100 points and you lose your CDL. They are even going to start enforcing a body mass index rule to weed out over sized drivers. They showed us a video a couple of weeks ago that said DOT won't be taking licenses because they are issued and controlled by the states. Then we are given a heads up that DOT will take your license for too many points or not meeting the body weight requirements. A lot of double speak BS from the bureaucrats in DC.

Elvenhome21 Thanks this.
  8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I know this is old but I have clarification on something after some of our line-haul drivers took it all the way to corporate safety.

Overweight tickets do not count against the driver at all and are not going to be considered safety strikes against the company with CSA - a thank God moment for all companies and drivers that pull sets with single" always over on the drive axle" trucks. I'll try to find it or get it in writing and post it but I trust the sources on this matter 110%.

9. drgeerjmmr

drgeerjmmr Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Jakebrake- I would appreciate the info on this. There is a nice dispute about this at my barn.

Another quick question if you do not mind. Is your Area hiring like crazy? It seems that my area is hiring a lot of drivers and there is a point where it seems like overkill. Just wondering if all areas are doing this and why?

10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Definitely true that overweights don't go against us as drivers - this was proved to us by our regions director of safety as he was being grilled by our line-haul drivers. The process will remain the same in the states I run - ticket addressed to the company, signed by me as the agent for the company, and paid by the company unless you're a complete idiot and brought it on yourself by being a complete moron. This isn't Tom/Dick & Harry's Trucking so any overweight ticket you get will be paid by the company.

As far as hiring goes, I lost track at my barn about a year ago. I think we have like 170 drivers and if we had 220 we would need 250. I have heard drivers from other terminals say we're over-hiring but where I work if the drivers have trucks they'll go somewhere. Not real sure but I have heard that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.