about tuition reimbursement programs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeepSouthRollin, Apr 25, 2018.

1. DeepSouthRollin

DeepSouthRollin Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2018
    louisiana
    The way I understand it, the first company you hire on with is generally the only company that is going to offer you this benefit. So, what if you have to quit that company for whatever reason...Do some companies offer it when you get to your next driving job? OR, are you just out of luck?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    one time deal.....from that employer

once your training is paid for, you owe that company.

now, another employer "may" buy out that loan...but that does not happen daily.

if you quit after the "cut off point", you owe all of it...some are pro-rated, you pay up to that point..READ THE CONTRACT THAT YOU WILL SIGN..>!!!!!

you will be signing papers, making you liable for the loan, failure to pay it back (by working there x amount of months), they CAN mess with your credit report..

you may be able to get another "paid training" from another company, however...you will now have 2 loans to pay for.....

DeepSouthRollin Thanks this.
  4. DeepSouthRollin

DeepSouthRollin Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2018
    louisiana
    I am not going that route, i didnt explain the question properly,
    I have paid out of pocket for CDL school. What i am referring to is the places that reimburse that back to me. Sorry for the bad information there....

5. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    If you paid out of pocket you are probably screwed. We did that and our first company reneged on the deal since we did not take out a loan.

6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I paid out of pocket too. I went to my desired employer. It was later after orientation I found out they offered a tuition reimbursement. Just show them tuition receipt and that you paid it (not a government program, etc)..I was pleasantly surprised. I originally paid 5-6k and the company only reimbursed 3k...but I’m not gonna complain! It came in the form of 4 payments over 1 year to be sure I had extra motivation to stay and get those bonuses. I did stay.

DeepSouthRollin and Need4Speed Thank this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I've never heard of subsequent employers willing to pick up the reimbursement That is usually something that carriers offer to new drivers right out of school to entice them to join the company. If you worked another job driving first, you're out of luck at the new job.

DeepSouthRollin and IluvCATS Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    oh...ok...different story..

the tuition reimbursement is limited to not only how much they reimburse you, but also a time frame with them for employment. some companies want a full year of employment, some want 6 months, then they cut you a check, but you will be paying taxes on that money, as it IS income.

if one switches employment before the "contract ends", you lose all reimbursement monies you would have gotten...

now too comes a time limit on how long a company will offer that reimbursement to you.

for instance..company A, says from day one after graduation, it starts when you go to work for them, and you must work (saying) 1 year..

but (say) you drop out and go some place else after oh, 4 months of employment, and go to company B...

same rule applies, you only had x amount of time from graduation to get in on the reimbursement, and that in of itself is usually only 30 to 60 days after graduation.

so you leave company A after 4 months, go to company B, you wasted 4 months at company A, you went past the 60 day time frame....

you are screwed for any reimbursements....

best to STAY at a company when hired for the very least 6 months, 1 year is better.....

just my opinion on employment for any paybacks....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.