ABS and Low air problem

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by krazman, Apr 23, 2008.

1. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    I decide that the self adjusters are not working so I go to adjust them myself. ( keep in mind that I just crawled into this heap and it was at the bosses house where he was supposedly doing an inspection before giving me the truck ) I adjust the back brakes and then crawl under the steering axle. Drivers side brake shoes are about 2" away from the drum. The slack adjuster is falling apart from never being greased and the bushing around the spline gear is gone. It is just sort of slopping around on the shaft. Not good !. I go ahead and adjust it anyway.
    Then I look at the other side. The shoes are 2" inches away from the drum. I adjusted them. When I stepped on the brakes I heard a loud bang and the shoes were again 2 " from the drum. Now I have to turn the adjuster in the other ( loosen ) direction until I hear the springs pop and then it starts tightening up again.
    So I conclude that the worm gear is stripped in the adjuster.
    I go buy two adjusters , $200.00
    I then go to my bosses house and tell him the problem. He says that he runs the brakes that way so they will not pull to one side. Also that the dot says it is okay !!!
    I guess he did not want to pay the bucks . So I am installing them on his truck at my expense so I do not get someone killed. I guess 200 is less than the fine I would get if caught driving it the way it is.
    Air leaks seem to be from one of the leveler valves . Well that and it takes a lot of air to move an adjuster that is turned all the way out.

And to think I quit my job driving a new freightliner for this. I get a lot more money but I just was not expecting this kind of trouble.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. YukonTrucker

YukonTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Whitehorse Yukon
    I can see leaving automatic slack adjusters alone when running on roads with no dirt but up here in the north, automatic slack adjusters stop working properly in a very short amount of time and I manually adjust all my brakes and have never had a problem with the slack adjusters.

IMO there shouldn't even be automatic slack adjusters, that way everyone would get out and adjust their brakes and not rely on the automatic part. Trust me all it takes is one time when you need the brakes and they are not there to motivate you to check them regularily.

4. Flyer

Flyer Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Find another job immediately. Never, ever put one dime in somebody else's equipment. You will regret it and he doesn't care about you or his equipment.

5. NealinNevada

NealinNevada Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One Horse Town, Nevada
    You are kidding right? No really, you are kidding? Find another job before you end up killing someone...If this guy would back off the brakes and claim DOT says it is okay, then he will do anything and lie about it whenever it is to his advantage. Save your butt and future hassle - quit now. Take your parts off the truck before you quit though.

6. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    No not kidding. But after I went to his house with 200.00 in parts that he thought he was paying for , he decided I was serious and he fixed the problem. I got brakes now. Did not cost me anything.
    Now if I can just do something about that ticket I got today for running a stop sign. I STOPPED! Cop said I should stop and then pull forward to the sign and stop again before I turn the corner. I think not.

7. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    huh?

The stop sign is a *limit*. If you stop (within reason) behind it and have a clear view of all traffic, you should be good to go.

Oh.. wait.. didnt' I see that you are in Kalifornia? Watch out, he could have written you a ticket for breathing wrong.

8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

I would agree that automatic slack adjusters are not worth spit. But I would also agree with the NTSB warning about adjusting the ASA's. After you adjust them they will not stay in adjustment right?? Not only did you by-pass the safety feature but you'll be out of adjustment most of the time. However, not that you did anything different than what I would do I believe you've caused you own problems by running the brakes. Sometimes it's just a pain in the ### to run to the shop but I would replace the ASA's and keep a record on how long they stay in adjustment without any wrench put to them. Then you could bring that problem to the boss or the manufacture.

9. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks

I am in Kansas. That is worse. Kansas makes most of it's income from tickets and other petty crap. They have nothing much else to do here. They used to until a few years back, throw you in jail if you could not pay a ticket. This was finally challenged and was found to be unlawful as it is debtors prison. So now they just call it contempt of court and throw you in jail. Most tickets are misdemeanors and 3 of them in a year can get you 2 years in prison.
    Any way I am waiting for an answer from an attorney as to exactly what the law stats here. If it does not specifically state 10 feet then I will pay the 750 bucks or whatever to have my attorney fight it. I see no difference in stopping 10 feet before the sign and then creeping up to the intersection than stopping 15 or 20 feet from the sign and creeping up. It is all the same .

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    That's what you need to do, find out how close you need to be. But don't think for one minute that all stops are the same. You should have enough knowledge of the roads to know there can be obstructions that can block you view.

11. krazman

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks

Well I found out that Kansas has this ridiculous law regarding stop signs that do not have any markings painted on the road in front of them.
    It seems that if there is no markings then instead of stopping before the cross walk or about 10 feet, you are supposed to just stop as close to the intersection as possible.
    This is stupid. What if you mis judge the stopping distance by a few feet and stick the nose of your truck out in the intersection and then one of them cars that is turning the corner by way of cutting across your lane instead of doing it right ,gets hit. Because you know that most people do not turn from the turning lane into the lane without crossing over the double line . ( good thing they do not drive trucks )
    I turn onto that street about 4 times a day and most of the time there is a car that pulls up to that stop sign and stops passed it and I have a hard time turning. But the cop thinks I should do the same thing as them cars do.
    I still stop back from the stop sign. To hell with them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.