ABS help !!!

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by SHC, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I posted this in the main forum but since it is a WS figured I might as well post it here as well.

2004 WS Lowmax

Aparently the ABS system in my truck is not operational. There is no power out the pigtail going to the trailer, and the ABS lights do not cycle on when I turn the key and no click click noise of them working. Just wondering where the ABS module is located on the truck, as I am thinking it might be under the drivers seat along with the dash gauge control box???

Also, in the dash, there is an additional ABS setup with fuses and relays. Looks like it was added at the factory and I'm thinking it is the part for the trailer ABS but not sure. Here's a couple pics..... Any idea what the push-button relay is for?? I push it but nothing happens. It's like a door switch on a fridge almost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2013
    ABS is a pain in the butt when it goes bad....on my Century the fuse panel, relays and modules are behind the drivers seat in the sidewall behind a door. No clicking at all sounds like either a bad relay(s) or no power to the module or the module itself. Check all the fuses and if you can figure out which circiut is providing main power to the module test it for power. On mine for some reason the main power lead was dead but fortunately there was another unused fused circuit so the tech was able to run another wire for main power to the module but the module was bad anyways......sooooo $1800 later......well you know the drill!! We never could figure out why the original main power lead died.......:biggrin_25510:

4. cootr68

cootr68 Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    central il.
    On my 99 star the abs ecm is mounted underneath the drivers seat area underneath, the truck. Mine cycled but the lights on the dash stayed on, had to replace it. Very $$$$$$

SHC Thanks this.
  5. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    That button is to test the abs circuit. Just like cootr68 said, best way to see it would be with your driver side door skirt off but you might seeing but putting your head on your side box and looking up to the floor of your cab.

Your dash/gauge control box is located behind your dash panel. You pull the four screws out holding the gauge panel there and when you pull it back you'll see a bare aluminum box mounted to the back framing of the dash. Not sure how much of that box or if it has any abs control or not but if you ever have problems with your signals intermediately working then its the harness going into that box (think second plug down from the top)

SHC Thanks this.
  6. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yeah, I took the dash apart and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. As I said, I push the relay and it does nothing. Once I get home I will pull off the cab panel and see what's going on under there. Thanks for the input

7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Go in the truckstop and buy a replacement Bosch relay. Should be 10 bucks or so. With truck off, swap it for one of the relays in your abs panel. Turn truck on and see if it abs comes on. Cycle and repeat with the other relays until you find the bad one. If it still doesn't work you have other issues.

8. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2013

Good post fcg.....also if I remember right if you have power to the module and the module is good when you push the test button it will flash a code(s) if there is something wrong....write them down and run it by your friendly dealers service manager or look online.

9. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I've swapped the relays around already and it's still dead. I'm wondering if the power feed has come undone at the batteries?

I appreciate all the help so far. I won't be able to mess with it till I get home next week.

10. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Make sure you're using a known relay that works. For example if your electric horn works use that relay and put the relay you swap with it in the horn position to test it.

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  11. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Ok guys, got to the ABS module today and found no power going into any of the leads that plug into it with the key on. So it looks like it might be a power issue. Any ideas how the wiring for the ABS works on here?? Does it go to the breakers and relay before it goes to the module?? It is a Wabco system also

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.