AC compressor straight wired?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by GOTSEASON8SUCKED, Jun 17, 2019.

1. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

GOTSEASON8SUCKED Bobtail Member

May 27, 2019
    Got a question, company sidestepped having to replace an APADS fan/ac compressor modulator ( apparently it's an expensive additional piece added to this Kenworth T400 to make the fan and ac compressor work more efficiently) buy basically straight wiring the AC compressor clutch to a switch in the cab. Now coolant levels doing damage to the compressor aside, if this thing is turned on and left on for too long, can it do damage to the compressor? I already know if the coolant levels are too low , and the compressor continues to try to run it will burn itself up... but what if the AC compressor clutch just plain stays kicked in and turning for too long?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    What engine do you have in your truck ? In my opinion the only thing can do some damage is that you might loose your belt from your AC compressor getting hot and eventually it will lock itself and will burn your belt.

4. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

May 27, 2019
    Just an old Detroit built back in 99. I already know the compressor can seize up if there is little or no coolant in the system. My question is will it seized up if there is adequate coolant but the compressor stays locked in and running for too long. There's no automatic kick in and out for the clutch. It's all based off of a manual switch in the cab because they bypassed all the expensive electronic sensors that automate that process.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really?

Why are you working for a company that is sooooooo cheap?

BUMBACLADWAR and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

May 27, 2019
    Because I respect the owner and the parts $2,300. It's a local family-owned Trucking line and they don't honestly make that much money.

7. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    From what I remember years ago I had to bypass my AC too and nothing bad happened except that my system was full with refrigerant. Cant guarantee you will get away with it like I did. Low refrigerant plus bypass wiring God knows what can happen to your truck. AC system is made to cycle on and off so it will not overheat. In your case it's hard to say maybe others will give you a better view on your AC issue. Sorry I wish I could be more helpful.

GOTSEASON8SUCKED Thanks this.
  8. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

May 27, 2019
    It's slowly losing its ability to cool rapidly, so that's either a minor coolant leak or the compressors wearing itself out ( which was the question that gave rise to me asking the form question, am I accelerating the compressors wear and tear?). Reaching under the steering wheel to turn the compressor switch off and give the pressure time to equalize is aggravating as hell.. but I do it as often as I can given the mental load of trying to drive a feed truck at night on rough secondary roads and pay attention to not Wrecking. Isn't terribly easy on an almost 20 year old chassis with worn-out shocks, steering components, Etc.

9. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Running the compressor straight, 12v constantly, can fry the compressor or worst yet cause something to burst. Some compressors have safety valves that will release refrigerant after reaching a pre-set pressure, say 400 psi. What prevents this from happening is the high pressure cut off switch/sensor. On the other hand it does the same for low pressure, this time its called low pressure switch/sensor. Without enough refrigerant the compressor could self destruct from lack of oiling. So if you ran compressor straight without the safety built in you could either destroy compressor from lack of oil or worst release refrigerant from the compressor safety valve or blow out a line, coil, or compressor. You could work around the module and still have the built in safeties but you would have to know how to hook it up.

10. GOTSEASON8SUCKED

May 27, 2019
    thanks. I have to run the engine fan manually at all times, somehow that keeps coolant cycled through the compressor. Found out the hard way that they had bypassed basically all of the AC system self check functions, because that overpressure valve actually did blow once when the engine fan was turned off. Had to go and have coolant filled back into the system. They told me that I would have to turn the switch on to get the AC compressor clutch to engage, but they neglected to tell me that the engine fan ( and whatever other pumps engage in conjunction with that for the AC system) will not engage automatically at the proper times to cycle the coolant.

11. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    Not sure why you mentioned that coolant has something to do with the compressor?? Do you mean refrigerant maybe ? But you said that you added coolant so it will flow thru compressor. Not sure if understand your problem now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.