AC help , freightliner cascadia

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    First step is determine WHY it shuts Down.
    Is it high head pressures?
    Does the engine fan cut in a lot on the highway when engine temp is low? At 60mph the ac shouldn't be asking for the fan much at all. If it is, head pressures are too high.
    Is the high pressure switch cutting in?

Why was the first compressor replaced? Did it have an internal issue? If so, there is the possibility of compressor oil and shrapnel being forced out into the condensor.
    If that's the case, did they FLUSH the system? If no, that's a problem.
    If there is oil and shrapnel floating around it will clog the condensor, dryer and the expansion valve. These will create high head pressures making it shut down.
    When the system is open,....ANYTIME.... the system is open, you replace the dryer and expansion valve. Did they do this?

A good flush, drain, measure and replenish the compressor oil. Vacume the system and refill with a new dryer and expansion valve.
    If the compressor is bad they should be able to tell from their gauges.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Bet when they replace the compressor, they didn’t do a proper flush of the entire system.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    This^^^^. Sounds like it’s overcharged. I doubt it is. Expansion valve is probably sticking, from debris or moisture. If moisture, you can turn it off, wait a couple minutes for the ice to melt inside the valve, turn it on and it will work till it freezes again. I’m not the A/C Guru by any means. I’ve been fixing my own 23 yrs now. After paying $600 twice in one month. Had a lot of practice replacing York’s every Yr. or 2 before learning the importance of flushing the system. Working without the proper tools. Shade tree guess work at best.

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
  6. MAMservices

MAMservices Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    “Dryer wasn't replaced for sure ...”
    It was mentioned that you prefer knowledgeable techs to work on your equipment. Anyone that has any basic understanding and workings of A/C systems and working on such things, knows you must always replace the dryer when a system is opened. Not throwing rocks but if this is a guy that’s regularly works on your stuff and did this…………..

Rideandrepair and Elroythekid Thank this.
  7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Truck been brought to the shop in Kansas City today in the morning and the shop promised to look at it first part of the day, got to my truck only at 4 ... Checked , ...tried to get ahold of someone 3 times afternoon - 0 success , but reached someone yesterday from the first attempt and described the problem .( Google research with 4.7 and around 40 reviews) .. last reporting from the driver that mechanic needs the truck cold in the morning and he will try to bypass ( not sure what ) and rewire AC compressor... I have bad feeling already...
    Called all 3 inlands on the way and earliest anyone can pull the truck in - 2 weeks :(

Rideandrepair, Siinman and JonJon78 Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    To be honest i dont remember if he replaced dryer or not ( he just checked invoice when compressor was replaced because he was thinking its bad ) , I understand a lot as far as mechanical part of the truck function, but i am not mechanic or wrencher by any mean .
    So far they did a lot of work and i dont have ton of complaints and i am not in the position to play smart ### and tell mechanic how to do his work . Its very hard for me to find someone decent to work on the equipment and this part frustrates me all the time .

Rideandrepair, Siinman and MAMservices Thank this.
  9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Bot all good mechanics are good ac guys, found that out the hard way.
    If he didn't change out at least the dryer when changing the compressor, hes not.
    I'm NOT a good ac guy, but know a couple and have tried to learn as much as I can. And I still take my vehicles to them. Find a good ac guy. You will never get it right without that.

Rideandrepair and Siinman Thank this.
  10. armo

armo Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Cascadia does not have high and low pressure switches. There is a ####ty electronic device called pressure transducer . That junk sometimes screws the hvac module. Its not expensive. i would replace it first. If problem will exist than hvac module is malfunctioning.

pavrom and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. armo

armo Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2022
    First of all DL must be hooked up and hvac j1939 must be connected. there may be fault codes....

pavrom and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.