Ac is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Cgilley71, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Cgilley71

Cgilley71 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I have a 2012 International ProStar used to be really really cold air try to figure out what's going on with it. We thought it was compressor and we replace the air compressor you vacuum the lines replaced freon check the fuses. After doing all that it will blow cold for a little bit and then they'll be a loud pop under the hood and start blowing hot again. I noticed last night when I was driving it last night and when I hit the brakes the blower quit blowing release the brakes just started blowing again. So I'm confused on what is wrong with the ac and the truck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    So right now you have 0 cold air? If so the pop you heard was a pressure valve or hose burst or maybe even a cracked condenser, if you've lead a good clean life, it was just the magnetic clutch on the compressor, but usually that shreds the belt too and you'd see it obviously

btw, any time you open the system, replace the ac air drier

The blower/brake thing sounds like a crossed wire somewhere, no help for you there except that you have to trace the wires...

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    When you changed the compressor, you're supposed to change the receiver/dryer and expansion valve/orfice tube too.

If the compressor failed it most likely put debris into the lines clogging up the expansion valve/orfice tube causing a blockage which is resulting in high pressure, shutdowns and warm temperatures.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    These trucks are basically computer controlled. The laptop is the first tool I grab, other than that, you are just guessing and blindly throwing parts at it.

6. angrytrans

angrytrans Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    He is right anytime you open the system replace the drier and orifice tube.

7. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Exactly, the system can be fine and the computer can be cutting out the compressor due to a glitch.

I have rewired my A/C to be just like the pre body control model systems were because I got tired of chasing these stupid little glitches.

Now the compressor, high and low pressure sensors and the fan sensor are all wired directly to their respective systems; the computer does not have any role in managing my A/C now.

2 years since converting the system to the old design and no A/C issues yet, finally not dreading the triple digit California summers.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  8. Cgilley71

Cgilley71 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Yes it was a short .

9. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.