AC radiator leak - is it fixable?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Apr 23, 2019.

1. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I am going to Louisiana tomorrow for my next load. I need to have AC running before that. As much as I even have a home, I'm not planning to be there for like a month. So online ordering is out.

Probably just going to have to bite the bullet and buy the overpriced condenser from Freightliner and then pay TA a hundred bucks for Evac and recharge after I install it. Price of living on the road , I guess. I would just suck it up, but I'm riding with my 12 year old dog and I feel bad for the old man.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    My old girl likes her AC too. She's 16.

C002CC6D-1AF4-488F-A2B2-BC22FDF46079.jpeg

4. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Dog on board means fastest repair.
    TA or Petro, perhaps maybe a Loves if you park there?
    They probably will add near 2 pounds of Freon after they vacuum it for an hour.
    Freon is like $40 a pound now I think.
    They probably won't replace your dryer unless you request it. Because that would be more vacuum testing.
    Your good as long as your compressor did not go bad.
    If your truck is 5 years old I would consider replacing that before it goes bad.
    Since you getting your AC opened up.

5. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    $20 a pound at TA, so at least that's good news.

Rideandrepair and Intothesunset Thank this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    A radiator shop that can weld aluminum can crimp that tube and weld the hole up and it’ll be as good as new.

I had a similar event happen to my condenser ten years ago and I had my local radiator shop weld it and its been working great ever since.

Now if you want to spent $400 plus on a new condenser, it’s up to you.

7. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Welding is usually $100 per hour flat rate.
    Last time I was at TA I think it was $20 as well.
    I just forgot how much it was. Or I got ripped off good?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Ok, one more time. Call Radiator works Wyandotte Mi. PM me if you need the # . They may have a distributor in Ohio. Otherwise one of their distributors, Keystone automotive in Cullman Al will have one. I got my last one from them picked it up there. They’re now also affiliated with LKQ automotive, a big aftermarket supplier. I p/u one yesterday at LKQ whse. In Romulus Mi. No telling where they have them available nowaday, as their network has expanded. I will be installing mine tomorrow in Louisiana. Should also replace air drier if possible. Best to pull a vacuum. But with or without a new drier, it will probably work. I’ve replaced many a part, and with a new air drier, have had good results, as the drier will get most moisture out. I just bought r34 at Walmart less than $5 a can. A hose to install it is another $ 15. My Truck takes 5 cans. The capacity is listed on firewall, I have a vacuum pump with me, however my generator is at home. I’ll ptobably just fill it up and later replace drier $25 and pull a vacuum and refill. Dealer part is $600 T/A will charge you at least $200 I’m sure. Yes any moisture can cause expansion valve to freeze up, but usually it will just underperform a very little bit, and over time cause rust in system. Harbor freight has a very cheap vacuum pump that runs off a drill motor. While not the greatest. I’ve read that they actually will get the job done. No need to buy gauges. Just get a hose with the gauge on it. Good enough. Or you pay Petro in Dodgecity Al. to pull it down and refill, but defiantly replace first. If you decide to do yourself, wouldn’t hurt to add a 3 oz can of oil. That’s plenty as most of the oil stays in the system when you lose the Freon.

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  9. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    That's awesome! Very detailed and helpful.

I did check out they Wyandotte radiator people earlier when you mentioned them, but their office was closed when I called. The prices do seem very reasonable, although they don't seem to have a 2014 cascadia condenser. The one they list is listed as 2010-2011. Maybe it's the same as mine and they just didn't update the new model years... I'll call them tomorrow and find out. It would be awesome if I could pick it up down in Alabama.

I've used the walmart freon cans before, they do have a little crappy gauge already on the can, worked fine last time (2 years ago). Cascadia takes about 4-ish of them. Or I might just have TA evac and refill, they quoted me $100 plus $20 a pound for freon. Cheaper than buying a vacuum pump, and anyways I need an oil change also. Last time I didn't do evac, and I did notice my AC was a bit weaker than before.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your advice.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You’re welcome, I think it’s @ exit 304 1 mile e of I-65. Petro @ exit 299 good shop. Otherwise Loves in Birmingham might even be cheaper,There’s also a Loves in Poplarville Ms. I’d call first make sure they can do it. I would avoid the T/A in Meridian Mississippi and also the one in Slidell La. And by all means avoid Petro in HammondLa. Worst shop I’ve ever seen.

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Well I got mine fixed. Didn’t start on it till dark. Had a bad low pressure switch also. Unplugged it and got it jumped with a wire for now. Got a new one under bunk, wife’s sleeping though. Got lucky wasn’t too hot today.Gonna rain and be cooler tomorrow,had a problem getting hose tight. The condensors are very fragile. Have use 2 wrenches to avoid breaking new one. Well hope all works out for you. Also had problem with new can design.After You hook hose to can, You pierce the can with the needle and only back out a turn or 2, if backedout all the way Freon won’t flow, some kind of new safety feature.Took a while to figure that one out. Lol 5 hrs altogether, taking my time. Oooh it’s cold now!!! Good Luck, let us know how it worked out for you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.