Acceptable loss ratio

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Chasingthesky, May 22, 2016.

1. jinxutoo001

jinxutoo001 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Wait a minute, all of the companies listed above are all e-log companies. They are the safest most careful on the road.
    The FMCSA said that the new logging rules would save 19 lives a year, I think they could find those 19 lives in said companies.
    This industry has been religated to a minimum wage job through regulations in the disguise of "safety " , it has nothing to do with safety.
    Money and market control for the megas which are part of the biggest lobbies groups.
    If it was about safety, a guy couldn't go to a school for a few weeks, ride and drive for a few weeks a be let go on his own to navigate our roadways. There would be an apprenticeship program and the ones that couldn't get it would be gone and the ones that got it would make a good living.

BoostedTeg and Chasingthesky Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Again, not true. Statistics back this up. The number of all licensed drivers in the US increased from 167 million in 1990 to 214 million in 2014 yet the fatality rate per 100k licensed drivers has gone from 26.7 in 1990 to 15.26 in 2014. Those figures may be a testament to the increasing use of airbags and vehicle crash engineering more than anything, but the fact remains. If it were as simple as more drivers = more deaths, those numbers would be going up, not down.

The point I was and am making is that there are certain companies who, due to the way they operate, have a greater percentage of fatalities and management is apparently cool with that being the cost of running a business the way they do.

Thefallenone and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'd like to see some data but I seriously doubt new drivers are involved in all the truck crashes causing fatalities. Plenty of fault can be assigned all across the experience spectrum.

With the ever-increasing numbers of trucks on the road each year, it's hard to say eLogs are the chief contributor to any crash frequency increases. One thing is for sure. Distracted driving crashes seem to be going through the roof.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    FedEx Ground certainly appears to be some sort of statistical anomaly, though as is related to this thread. IMHO

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    It's partly a cultural thing. I went into the oil patch a few times and some mines. Safety REALLY is job number one.
    In trucking it's just an expense that the government and insurance companies force onto companies. When the companies give the final authority to the driver, and drivers handle that responsibility in all seriousness, then changes may occur. But when dispatch insists that you do something at the risk of firing you, then things won't change.

Chasingthesky Thanks this.
  7. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Ha, right?

I don't think it's a case of new drivers causing ALL fatality crashes. Accidents, to some degree, are unavoidable. If you look at stats on the SAFER System of the FMCSA, most trucking companies of any size have a few fatalities. The ones I listed though have a higher rate than could be considered normal and I don't think its coincidence they're also the same companies who are staffed by drivers with little to no experience and for whom no effort is made to develop safe, career drivers.

Its bad enough a significant portion of this industry is underpaid. Being so expendable that your life is valued less than profit is a bit much.

8. jinxutoo001

jinxutoo001 Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I never said that all new drivers cause all the fatality accidents, but what I see out here most everyday are bad driving habits. I.e. distracted driving, following too close, no signals, speeding, no forward looking.
    The point about the e-logs are this, I have never seen one, I still run loose leaf, but in 20 years have never been in an accident. I also do not do the things that I mentioned earlier.
    We as drivers need to hold ourselves to a higher expectation of work quality.
    We deal with alot of bs everyday, our paycheck, our living are on the line everyday. We have to stand up for ourselves, when your dispatch tries to strong arm you, say no, shut the phone off.
    When we see another doing something stupid try to help. I see on YouTube guys sitting in their trucks letting someone back into them, that's bs. Get out, help the guy.
    All I'm saying is we need to come together, make a difference. This is all that I have done since the day I turned 21 and that was 20 years ago. What else can I do to make the money that I have doing this, not much.
    The week of the 72 hour blitz I am going home, not because of my truck, but because I don't agree with what they (FMCSA) is doing.
    When they mandate e-logs in 2017 I have to make a choice, get one or say #### it and go on welfare. I hate to say that, but I have overhead to cover and if it can't be covered because of low rates, high cost then why do it.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    New drivers will tear up a lot of equipment but I suspect most of the major crashes invoke drivers with more then 5 years experience. It would be very helpful to have an accurate number of what today is the number representing year experience MEDIAN average. Then we could have the discussion of which group has the most major crashes.

10. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    That's why all these companies have good attorneys. They can drag litigants through the court system for years. When you read about big jury awards, that is before the appeals. The attorneys can appeal the judgement for years, drastically reducing the final amount.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  11. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    1. I wonder if automatics comes into play? 2. And people want put up the electronics 3. The last couple of years more and more drivers can't read English. And i was at a truck driving championship and alot of the driver's could not understand simple instructions. Just my thoughts..

jinxutoo001 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.