Accident Kits Needed or Even Wanted??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jpeters72155, Jan 15, 2017.

1. jpeters72155

jpeters72155 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Hey everyone jpeters here,

On my quest to make safety my number one priority I stumbled upon a company who hands out Accident Kits, of course the main goal is to NOT get in an accident we all know sometimes that just isn't the case so I'd like to here ya'lls take on if its needed, wanted, and or even useful. Below are a few of the items that I've put into my bag. Thanks for all your knowledge!

1. Waterproof disposable camera
    2. Tire Marker
    3. Clipboard & pen w/ "Driver's Accident Reporting Kit" paperwork to be filled out at the scene including witness information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I think an 'accident kit' is standard with most companies.

Is it needed? With everyone having a cell phone that takes great pictures I'm not sure the camera is that important anymore but the card to get witness information and some instructions on what to do/not do are a very good thing to have I would think.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Cell phones can give safety an impression, but it kills the chain of evidence. If there is ever a lawsuit the undeveloped film will win or loose a case as it's obviously not doctored. And a $5 camera is nothing compared to the cost od the truck. It's very cheap insurance.

My company though has us filling an accident kit, even when the plant puts yet more holes in the trailer roof. Grr...
    I mean they've only been loading the same racks into the same trucks several times a day for 20 years. You'd think they could manage without putting the racks through the roof.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Why is Accident Kits a bad company? Where are they located, and how do they screw over drivers?

6. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Working dash cam your best Accident kit ever!
    Just show video to cops (and ask officer to save copy on his laptop or phone) and it will solve most of your problems on a spot.

jpeters72155 and Ooops Thank this.
  7. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    My current company just did away with the accident kits, one reason being that it is getting hard to find a place to develop the disposable cameras any more.

Since even the cops are now using their cell phones to document incidents, and with time stamps and GPS data imbedded, it is actually getting more reliable than film for evidence.

And ya, have the dash cam, even if the incident is out of view of it (like being hit by someone else) , it can still be valuable evidence showing your lane position and driving situation at the time, for instance going straight in your lane, vs changing lanes, etc.

And even if judges or lawyers get bent out of shape about chain of custody of evidence, or other legal minutia, the jury is so used to seeing digital video and snapshots, they will accept it.

Also, with digital, you can take unlimited pictures to get every angle, make sure you have some in focus, with and without flash, using a flash light to illuminate one area at a time, panoramic shots, whatever, as you need. The 15 or 27 shots on a disposable get used up real quick, so you have to try to plan your shots, and hope that exposure and such are good, then wait hours or days or weeks to be able to see them.

If you have a disposable, sure, use it, but then take pictures with your phone where you can see what you have, and then email or upload them right away so they are copied and safe.

jpeters72155 and tinytim Thank this.
  8. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I just had my first accident a few weeks ago and having an accident kit was nice in the fact that everything I needed was together in a neat little pouch but really if you have any common sense and a cell phone it wasn't what I'd call a definitive necessity.

Lepton1, jpeters72155 and tinytim Thank this.
  9. jpeters72155

jpeters72155 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks for this good feedback everyone. Wow!

I was only thinking of the disposable camera idea in the event of a cell phone being lost or even broken in all the commotion BUT I didn't think that it would be hard to have them developed and with all the new technology out I could see where that would be a definite drawback. Ill have to dig further regarding that a little now.

Dash cams I see are a MUST and we are going to go that route eventually.

Sorry to hear that CasanovaCruiser, I hope you and everyone around you was ok.

10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    No trouble really. The car that hit me took off in a hurry. No real damage to my truck. Cops were nice and tried to make everything as quick as possible.
    Thanks though.

11. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Some of the newer model truck GPSs come with a dashcam on the backside. I think this is a wonderful idea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.