Accident with a curb

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mmitchell0171, Oct 9, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here is something you probably have not yet found out. Maybe you did I don't know.

There you are, over the side of Mount Eagle cratered in a mass of twisted steel. You crawl out having lost a gallon of blood and fire is consuming your clothing. You call the boss to tell him the sad tidings.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TRUCK!? IS IT OK!?

Piss on the driver (Or humans in any case.....)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    You wont be fired..l took out a curb and a powerpole with live wires that fell on a car and started a fire on top of the minor blackout that pole cause the Phoenix airport to cancel 4 landings while l was in a Swift truck on my 1st day of no trainer back in 95 and they didnt fire me

Woodys Thanks this.
  4. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    must be nice to drive back then !

5. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Sheeeeeeeet, mine came like that from the manufacturer!

Bakerman and DAX_ Thank this.
  6. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Did you get promoted though?

Seems like that would at least be "driver of the year" material??

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It's always a good idea to assess your available space before making a turn

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    At my union job, that was considered a "chargeable accident".

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    In the future; if you have any inkling thought that the right hand turn will be tight & you still believe it is worth trying, try pulling just your tractor into the lane immediately to the left of the right turn lane right before the stopping area.

Most of the rear of your trailer will be in the right turn lane, while your tractor/front of trailer is sitting one lane over.

This will not only set you up to have almost a full extra lane to 'swing out' the trailer from the inside curb, but also block potential right lane passers from cutting your inside turning radius.

This is not always possible with traffic so if that is the case, stop your tractor half a trailers length from the turn apex in right turn lane & wait until the lane next to you is clear of any traffic, including ones in the near distance behind you.

Then when clear, swing out into that lane to essentially do the same as above & give your trailer more distance from curb to turn on.

All of this assumes only one turn lane of course, if multiple exist, the far outside one is (nearly) always the (correct) truck lane.

10. I did the same thing 25 years ago going into Atlantic Steel in downtown Atlanta. with a Starter Flatbed company ....no one said anything to me..

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, when one considers the cost of a new (or used wheel), and the cost of a new (or recap tire). that stuff adds up fast.

it should be considered an accident, over an incident.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.