Accident

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bravo5, Mar 17, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are books printed about low overpasses in the United States. There should be no problem keeping a good up to date copy of such book to double check your ROUTE against any possible low clearance overpasses. It's a normal part of pre-planning a trip.

Yes you hit a bridge and so on. Water under bridge. You probably will be fired, but as Union find yourself sitting without being called to work much. Economic losses against your household and family will force you to quit and find another job somewhere. Now that you hit a bridge with a semi that's pretty much a no no. So you will learn that you are unhireable for a while.

But all is not lost. You can go join a tiny dumptruck outfit who could care less about records and need a man up there in that cab today. After a few years of that, you can redeem yourself and get to where you want to be.

Generally people who are FIRED for CAUSE such as big preventable damage or destruction of equiptment in this case the tractor trailer vs low bridge... YOU do not get unemployment. all stop. Once the state hears why you will be denied. You DO have to work until your wages gross 3500 dollars in any 12 months after before becoming unemployed again through NO fault of your own then you will be allowed a little bit of unemployment. And only for 26 weeks. While verifying you are looking for work, who you interviewed with and when, what days and what company and where.

You probably will not rely on the GPS again in your life time. Why should you. Or anyone. Find the book of low overpasses in the USA, buy a good copy, get a rand mcnally motorcarriers atlas and a couple of other decent quality paper maps. Yes I said paper. Not apps for cell phone or tablet or any of that crap. Maps that contain information precise enough to help you never to hit another bridge again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Look at it this way. You’re most likely never going to Hit another over again. Experience

4. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Why do people never slow down when they see low bridges?

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Costs less to tow a topped truck and trailer away from the OTHER SIDE of a low clearance, than to have to liberate said truck and trailer from UNDER a low clearance???:confused:

InTooDeep Thanks this.
  6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Well there was no clearance sign so the owner should be able to fight that in court.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    cuz they feel that if they go fast enough, they can get thru it..???

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Signs. Plural. A low overpass taking out 40 trucks a year. There are signs. There are yellow and black paint on the overpass. There are flashing lights.

If there were not, there would be pictures proving my claim. There wouldn’t be any discussion about my job.

9. Bravo5

Bravo5 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2019

No signs....no yellow and black paint...no flashing lights.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Where did this happen?

I have doubt about the sign thing, seeing it after the fact?

11. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    never seen an unmarked low bridge??

I don't mean one that's 9', 13'3" or so. real low is easy. I hit one up about 5 yrs ago, (rail road bridge, marked detour, no signage, kept my job no big deal, lots of pics),the insurance company said they had 23 calls that month in Chicago alone.

drive around Chicago. they used to be everywhere.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.