1. Harveysly

Harveysly Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    was notified through dispatch that in downtown Philadelphia I was observed by camera that the rear of my truck hit a parked car. It was an extremely tight area so it very well could have happened. What could come of this as I did not report an accident?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    You cant report what you dont know about. Tell dispatch if they can provide the footage that you will concede that you did bump a car, and are willing to fill out a accident report.

What else is there?

FlaSwampRat, MartinFromBC and 86scotty Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Depends on who owns the camera.

Apparently there was enough detail that it was traced to your dispatcher to you.

You could have very well hit it. Let's say it happened. Whoops. Ok fine accidents happen.

The problem for your Safety suit is two. The car owner is going to want some money for the damages. AND figure out what to do with you. That will depend on your record with that company.

You could very well be sued civilly in Philadelphia if the Car owner is told to buzz off by your company. So you have to go answer that suit there.

Whatever happens depends on which suit reads the report, views the video and so forth. More than likely it will be ruled preventable. And so there is that.

You cannot do trucking long enough and never hit something. As long you either didnt see it coming or didnt mean it but must bow a knee to the required rules in your company book all the way up to the Civil Courthouse if need be so be it.

If you were a really BAD driver and you crushed a car going around a corner without any regard or care, the company will eliminate you and make sure that you will not work anytime soon. IF the Lawman does not catch and cuff you first.

Harveysly Thanks this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Call the police department that has jurisdiction, ask if there was a report of a hit and run.
    Maybe first I would hire an attorney to do this research.
    Good luck.

6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I’d check to see what the company is going to do. First of all we need to make sure you definitely did it. If you did but didn’t know and the company pays out but gives you another chance let’s call it a learning experience. But if you didn’t do it and the company refuses to pay but the owner is trying to press charges it’s time to lawyer up.

Hillbilly hauler Thanks this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Ask for time stamp date & location make sure you were actually there

If you were, ask for video and info

If you put a small dent on something with a trailer and it's on video that you didn't notice or react, I doubt a judge would convict you of a hit and run.... now if you smashed it to a pulp, panicked, ran around like a headless chicken for a while got back in your truck and sped off, you might have a problem

Hillbilly hauler and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    after of course, you tell the officer your name, trucking company name, number etc...!!!!

a "private eye", maybe better than a lawyer.

what do you think, @TROOPER to TRUCKER ..????

9. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Did you look at the trailer?
    Any damage?
    Paint transfer?

Could be a scam to collect money.

They have to prove it was you...and you caused damage.

FlaSwampRat and Adieu Thank this.
  10. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    If you're not aware of hitting anything then just say that. Since there was video your company will most likely pay up. In that case you'll get a preventable, but that's between you and your employer - and any future employer who calls for a reference for the next few years.

If you were in danger of getting a hit and run charge from the police I would expect it to be the police calling you, not your employer.

Downtown Philly is the worst. Manhattan is not as bad as Philly.

FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Harveysly

Harveysly Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I wasn’t any of those things and consider myself fairly ok at operating a commercial vehicle. Record has been spotless for 9 years. It was honestly a really tight situation with 2 options... 1) live the rest of my life at that intersection or 2) go straight... straight was a ####ty option but it went kinda crosscut. I got truck and trailer into and down 8 blocks with out cutting a tire on the curb or what I felt at the time didn’t hit anything. The only thing I can think of was I push on a car. You are correct sir, sometimes we have to kneel to a judge. Just hopefully the judge sees how skillful and carful I was before and after while visiting his City...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.