Accounting Software Question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Volvo2, Dec 27, 2014.

1. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    If you are interested in the program you can call their CS and talk to a rep and have him/her tell you what is possible and not possible depending on your wants and needs. Well worth the time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I have always found the Trucknpro software to be pretty easy to use. The newest version is set up to handle LTL freight and will do the invoicing for you, if you wish. I have been doing my invoices from a standard invoice format that I set up many years ago, but may start using the Trucknpro Biz Manager to invoice. If you have a problem understanding it, they have video's you can download that will walk you through the program. You don't even really need to set up a chart of accounts with their programs. Their Trucknpro Elite will also do invoicing and LTL loads. Is there something specific that you are having a problem understanding with the program? I am not familiar with how to set up Quick Books. They have several versions. If you prefer Quick Books, you might check on the OOIDA forum. I recall a couple of owners who used to post on their forum used Quick Books Pro. One thing that I like about Trucknpro is that you can call them and talk with a real person who can help you, should you have a problem. I will start using the Biz Manager version starting on the 1st of January.

Volvo2 Thanks this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I just noticed something, Volvo2. You have a MAC. I don't know if Trucknpro has a version for MAC. I was going to suggest you contact the people at Truckers Helper if you don't like the Trucknpro software. They have several versions. I don't know if they have one for MAC. The last time I checked, there best program cost about $495 and will handle up to 100 trucks. It has been several years since I have used Truckers Helper, but I believe they have dispatching, invoicing, etc., It has a number of features that I like and could work for you. Some people think it is a little more complex to use. It usually takes a little while to learn your way around any software. I haven't used anything but Trucknpro for several years now. The Elite version I have been using has done a good job for my business. One thing that I learned with my experience with the $5,000 package with all the modules is that any software needs to be simple to use.

My advice would be to check with several different software programs and see if you can get a trial with them so you can check them out. I don't think Quick Books has a trial program you can try, but most of the trucking specific programs will allow you to try it for a short time before making a decision.

5. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    ATBS is an option Profit Gauges is another option by Kevin Rutherfords company.

6. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Quickbooks all day long, I've only been driving for a year, but not new to being self employed, It can be configured to do anything and when the time comes, you just send your file to your CPA and forget about it. Most CPA's will also set up your company file for you at first the way it should be which is nice.

7. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i like GnuCash

it is good for personal and business

8. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    That working good for you? I tried that years ago because it came with my Linux distro at the time but didn't seem that great but that was years ago, I'll have to give it another look.

9. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i watched a few videos explaining some things of how it works

it works fine for me, both for my personal accounting and my business accounting

10. Straitliner

Straitliner Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I've been using quickbooks for 5 years. Easy to use and to send my CPA a copy to do my taxes. I paid like $200 for it and I don't have to pay any extra to quickbooks yearly. I 'm just a single owner operator with 1 truck.

Lady K Thanks this.
  11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Definitely for me, QuickBooks! They have a free trial of their on-line version... I've been thinking about heading that way. Then I wouldn't have to drag my laptop out all the time :)

LINK

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.