Adding Cabinets/Shelves on new 680

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Raiderfanatic, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    New truck should be here in a month or so. We ordered it without a top bunk. My current truck I use the top bunk to store microwave, printer, fridge etc... This truck will have a fridge and we just figured if need be, I can build/add a couple shelves or cabinets to the back/side walls of sleeper. I was told that there are studs, similar to a house wall, that I can attach to. The person that told me this, well, I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone knows exactly how I could hang shelves or extra cabinets. Do I need to use toggle bolts or will the reinforcement in the wall be strong enough to support? It's not like I'm talking about weighting the shelves down. You figure a printer, microwave, cable box etc....these things don't way very much.

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    If it don't have a second bunk im guessing also its a mid roof instead of a highrise sleeper, you might be hard pressed to find a place to even put shelves. also now adays with how the body's are molded unless it has the option to put in a cabinet in already the studs wont be there. If it had the option to add the cab the studs should be there for that option regardless, you will have to do some modification to the interior tho.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  4. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    http://www.kenworth.com/news/news-releases/2013/december/t680-bunk-and-roof-fairing/
    Mid roofs have an optional upper bunk, looks like theres a ton of space up there too.
    Life would be easier if it had the bunk, just take out the mattress and bobs your uncle.
    There should be ribs/studs behind the interior walls, normally the overhead lights and speaker wiring will run along some of them.. You will have to pull the panels back to see what is there to fasten to.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  5. Raiderfanatic

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    No, it's not a mid roof. We ordered it with the specs we wanted. Chose not to include top bunk. 76" sleeper.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Raiderfanatic

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    It's the big sleeper with the Diamond VIT Interior. We were able to order it however we wanted it. Heated and cooled seats, smart steering wheel, the NAV Plus system etc... 76" sleeper, no top bunk, no apu(that was an argument but I lost....not the majority owner lol), bunk heater, 13 speed, PACCAR engine(another negative, IMO) etc..... We're having the factory install the PTO/Blower.

Thanks for response.

Riprap Thanks this.
  7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    No APU?
    Those engines don't like to idle.

Vampire and Raiderfanatic Thank this.
  8. Raiderfanatic

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    Yep. I know. We idle a lot at 1000/1100 rpms running PTO/blower unloading and drying out trailer etc.... Kinda worried about that but was told that won't be an issue if you keep the rpms up and keep everything warm. I dunno....guess we'll find out....

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Blower.........powder or liquids?

10. 04SSHD

04SSHD Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    Can't really answer about interior supports, but there's tons of room inside of the 680's I'm sure if there is a will there is a way. I hardly use the top bunk for storage as it is, the truck has tons of room to store your belongings under the bunk, in the closet, and in the drawers.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  11. kodiak564

kodiak564 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Morongo Valley, CA
    Good luck with your new T680, I tried to order a T660 without the upper bunk and extra shelves but they said that can't be ordered in a 86" sleeper. Good luck with the Nav Plus, wish I had ordered without since they have so many issues and no fixes for the problems.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.