Adjustable Gamma match for mobile antennas

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rabbiporkchop, Jun 27, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Does anybody know if such a thing exists in Pre manufactured form?
    Shunt matching coils are pretty cool things too[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I have used the gamma match from an ice trashed moonraker 6 bolted to the bumper of a Dodge van, tuned with the old mfj and worked Cali skip from downtown Nashville TN.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Do you have any pictures?

5. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    Dude, cell phones was dick Tracy stuff back then. We had a Polaroid camera but sure want gonna waste a $2.00 picture on booze induced fun. :)

BTShepp, delta5 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. breadtrk

Oct 4, 2015
    We had a time with that Van. 2 leece nevell 200 amp alternators, 8 18v tow motor batteries, Pluto swinging into a Texas Star 500 driving a 32 pill box built by black John in Memphis, copper coil copper antenna dead center of the top with a1/4" steel plate supporting it.

Take it to Manchester every year for the Good Times gang shootout. Hold a steady 4 grand on the 318 and key down baby.

Slowmover1, davew48 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wondering if it is the same Black John I knew of. All he built was hacked linears.

IIRC, he got a Bluegill Special to copy from that.

What a harmonic boxes they were.

Anywho ...

I saw an interesting antenna the other day, a circular dipole. It was a vertical setup and the owner claimed it worked well on 11 meters, just a 1/4 copper tube in a circular pattern with a gap/resister at the top and a little matching network attached to the feed point. the resister is a 75 ohm (I think that's what he said) terminating the two halves. I heard him about 26 miles from where I met up with him the other day.

No pics, I didn't have my phone with me at the time. I think he is a TTR member, I mentioned I was one and we talked about odd antennas.

Slowmover1 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. kc0iv

kc0iv Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Parkville, Mo
    I think you are talking about a "DDRR Antenna." There is also a square made the same way.

leon
    kc0iv

9. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Curious. What are you trying to 'match'? Is this on 11M? If you are trying to match impedance, that's not usually necessary on that band. When you get below about.....oh, maybe 20 Meters, you start running into this. But I'm looking at it from the back side. so I don't know what kind of antenna it is. For matching MOBILE antennas, this simple coil shown often gets the match right, depending on # of turns, diameter of coil and wire size. Is that a "switch" to cut it in and out? There are a few commercial matchers made--often made for matching screwdriver-style antennas, but its just as easy to wind your own.;) If you are working the HF band, usually there's no need to switch anything; it'll accept it and match on all bands!

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    But gadfly I have to point out that his picture isn't a gamma match circuit.

MarkH129 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Just trying to hit the elusive 50 ohm mark on a single frequency.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.