Advanced logging - Split sleeper berth explained

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Rawlco, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Why ban split breaking? just because you may think it is easier? Perhaps split breaking makes it easier for somebody else because their day is totally different then yours.

Typical It doesnt work for me so it in now way can work for somebody else responce. Sorry that may sound a little rude but I personally know people who do split break and it makes total sense for them to AND DOES make their life easier as a truck driver.....

The fact is there needs to be MORE options for divers to use during their work day not less.. THAT WOULD HELP EVERYBODY STLYLES OF DRIVING AND SLEEP PATTERNS....

one set of rules (such as 11 hr driving 10 hour break 14 limit ext..) can in noway be safe for everybody because everybody has a different style and their bodies are all different in how and when they get tired...

That's what everybody is crying about right? Fatigue? well then use com men sense and give drivers (they are people not robots) more ways to work with "thier" bodies in order to prevent fatigue and still make a decent living...

Oh by the way Schnieder eliminated the split breaking not as a safety concern but a financial concern. Schnieder is a training company and people do have a hard time understanding it. when they changed the HOR laws the last time Sni decided to eliminate it so they did not have to retrain everybody on the new split break laws and this also meant they would not have drivers getting tickets because they did not log correctly damaging their safety stat. Their safety stat has to stay above a certain point or they will lose their training accreditation... 10-4?

camerabrat and xllxmrjohnxllx Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!! As many of you know I stress you NEED TO KNOW "HOW TO SPLIT BREAK". Schneider is one that is making the "drivers" life harder because it is easier to say don't do it to make their profile look better. However most drivers that get written up are not split breaking, they are going over their 11 & 14 hour plain and simple I have noticed or they are not keeping their logs current. Drivers & companies are losing money by not allowing their drivers to split break. Drivers you need it to get to your next destination sooner to get your next load etc. It helps keep you rolling and it helps you stop during your 14 hour period for a 2 hour break. I will stress (as long as you know how to split break/ VERY EASY TO DO) then you are safer because you are stopping that truck for a couple hours during your 14 hour period and getting a little stress relief.

Ok so yeah study split breaking, look at the sticky thread and then look for split breaking! Ask questions or you will never learn. Oh you can ask me or make a thread and ask your question so others can learn from your question

SPLIT BREAKING IS A GREAT TOOL TO UNDERSTAND!

Ok the umm split log queen will shut up :biggrin_25513:

camerabrat and xllxmrjohnxllx Thank this.
  4. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    All this split logging has me confused. I have a question about a specific example. I'm not even going to attempt to use visual aids.

0600 I started my 14 hour clock.
    0600 to 0615 PTI
    0615 to 0730 Driving
    0730 to 1530 Sleeper Berth (I was getting my truck repaired, I actually slept until they work me up)
    1530 to 1730 Driving
    1730 to 1830 Meal
    1830 to 2130 Driving
    2130 I ended my day and went to the Sleeper Berth.

If I understand split logging correctly, and I may not, I am legal since I had 8 hours sleep berth which extended my 14 hour clock to 0400 the next day. I did not take 2 hours. I will start my day after a 10 hour break at 0730. Am I legal doing this?

xllxmrjohnxllx Thanks this.
  5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Yes your 14 hour clock originally ended # 8:00 pm but because you had 8 hours in the SLEEPER (MUST BE IN THE SLEEPER) your 14 hour clock extended until 0400 the next day.

The driving time from 6:00 am to 4:00 am the next day should not total more than 11 hours.

The problem I see is if you would have taken a 2 hour break (meal extended 1 more hour) you could have restarted your 14 hour clock from the end of that 8 hour sleeper break and the driving time from the "end" of the 8 hour break to the end of that "new" 14 hour period should not have totatled more than 11 hours on line 3.

I am on the wrong computer or I would show you a picture of how you could of done it to give you more driving time/miles instead of taking that 10 hour break. If that worked for you though, it's all good :)

6. I do have a question

some states require the 8 hour break first ... then the2 hour break

What is the actual rule .. if there is one ... in regards to which you have to take first?

7. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Where did you hear this? The HOS regulations are federal when traveling interstate. If this is true, I'd like to know, even though I'm not allowed to split break.

8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It's some states have their information incorrect! It's even like a few of my auditors still say the 8 hour break has to come first. WHich is definately not true! I tell them over and over that is not the way to explain it. I guess they and other people/trainers do that to explain to drive passed the 14th hour your 8 hour break must come first.

If you have anything less than 8 hours it does not extend the 14 hour and you must at the end of your 14 hour take an 8 hour SLEEPER break.

The federal over rides any state laws when driving interstate and don't let anyone tell you any different!

9. Captamb1

Captamb1 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Ca.
    Ok I have a question and I did not want to start a new thread. A fellow driver was told by a DOT inspector that you have to log 8 hours in the sleeper. Now we usually just log all or off time as Off duty on line one and don’t show any time in the sleeper. Do we need to show time in the sleeper or is it ok just to log off duty for 10 hours?
    Thanks

10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Long discussion here but I hope to answer your question :biggrin_25525:

Many drivers/office personel mis-understand the DOT regulations (which I can understand why, we won't go there tonight).

Line 1 means: YOU are OFF duty, you are away from the truck.
    Line 2 means: Your BODY is in the sleeper. We can't "prove" you was sleeping (however if they can prove you wasn't sleeping during an 8 or 10 hour break then it's possible they could hold that against you in the court of law.

Ok so if you want more discussion on how to log let me know " there is a thread dicussing this in great detail if I remember correctly somewhere in this forum.

Ok now here it is!

First if you are taking a consecutive 10 hour break: meaning you are shutting the truck down for 10 hours straight to gain your 11 & 14 hour break: Here is how you can accomplish your 10 hour break: 3 ways

1) 10 hours off duty: So you drove 11 hours and got home, you are away from the truck this should be logged as off duty.NOw if your company doesn't give you permission to log off duty for personal time then you "MIGHT" Have to log it as on-duty "if you are under a load".

2) 10 hours in the sleeper: So if you sleep 10 hours like me and spent 10 hours in the bunk you log 10 hours sleeper

3) 10 hours of lines 1 & 2 combined: So if you go in the truck stop for 4 hours and socialize that should be logged as off duty.
    Example of a 10 hour break using lines 1 & 2: I can go off duty for 1 hour (less or more is ok to) and then go to the sleeper for 4 hours, then get up go socialize for 3 hours, then I can go sleep for 3 hours.
    The 10 hour consecutive break is just that a break! DOT doesn't say you have to sleep for 10 hours. Just as long as you do not work or anything related to your truck/work thats all they want.

I can go off duty 1 hour, sleep 1 hour, off duty 1 hour and so on and not be in violation.

Now make sure you get a full 10! Many drivers think they have a 10 hour break but it's only 9.75 hours (or lower).

When split breaking the rule is (basic and simple)

If you sleep (line 2) for 8 hours consecutive and have not driven 11 hours prior to the 8 you can extend your 14 hour clock by the number of hours you have in the sleeper (remember it has to be 8 hours in the SLEEPER)

Many people got that you need to spend 8 hours of your 10 hour break in the sleeper because of the split break regulations. If you have 7.75 hours in the sleeper within your 14 hour it does NOT extend the 14...

Sorry long winded but I wanted to clear up a few things, I hope it works :biggrin_2559:

blade and xllxmrjohnxllx Thank this.
  11. Captamb1

Captamb1 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Ca.
    Thanks for your quick response to my question, so I take it is legal to log all my off duty time on line one and that there is no legal ramifications if I do not show time in the sleeper.
    Thanks again I know I appreciate all your help and advice here on this board as I am sure many others do as well.:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.