Advanced logging - Split sleeper berth explained

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Rawlco, Aug 16, 2006.

1. gladiator

gladiator Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    wheeler,mi.
    Pretty strong stuff there jubajo1. Where does it state "When you log in you must drive 11?
    I have done many, many splits and never once had a problem with my company, in the way of a log aduit, nor DOT even during an inspection while doing a split.. I will say this you need to not only know how to do it but be able to explain it as well. Because DOT can and will say they don't understand it, just to make sure you do..trust me.
    Even though 395-1 Section (g) does not state which part a driver must do first the 8 or 2, it does however state that it is only the 8 hrs in the sleeper that can stop your 14.

(g)(1)(ii)(C) Calculation of the 14-hour limit includes all time except any sleeper-berth period of at least 8 but less than 10 consecutive hours; compliance must be re-calculated from the end of the first of the two periods used to comply with the requirements of paragraph (g)(1)(ii)(A) of this section.

So as you can see doing the 2hr part first your 14 does'nt stop, doing the 8 first it stops both 11/14.. I know what your thinking another 2 hrs and I've got my 10.. So why bother,,
    Let's say you have a morning delivery, and you are close to the customer. Your next load picks up late afternoon, the only time that is important here is that have at least 8 hrs to work with. Since you do the 8 (logged in the sleeper) first whatever you have on your 11/14 you still have an the end of the 8. It does not state how many hrs you need to use before you take the 2 hr break. So if you get to the customer and are there 4 hrs..well guess what you have satisfied part 2 of the spilt. Of at least 2 but no more than 10. Now you're good with another 11/14...
    So to sum it all up. Whatever hrs a driver has left on the 11/14 at the begining of 8 hrs in the sleeper, they still have at the end. Drive or work up to or less than your remaing hours stop for at least 2 but no more than 10. and you have done a sleeper split. I don't understand why a company would forbid drivers from using it as long as they know how.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gladiator

Apr 17, 2010
    wheeler,mi.
    I would advise if you have never done a sleeper split, #1 Always start with a fresh 11/14 make note of when both end, don't want to exceed ethier one. #2 Always do a full 10 hr break after the split. #3 Always make DARN sure you have a place picked ahead of time to do part 2 of the split. #4 Be able to explain it to a DOT officer should the need arise. It's not hard to do and has many benefits. If your still not sure, next time your sitting in a dock for GOD knows how long. Work one out on paper. I welcome any and all questions.

4. alpacka

alpacka Bobtail Member

May 2, 2010
    corbett oregon
    Can anyone help me figure out how the slpit sleeper works. I am new to the industry and I trying to get home for my first home time and I only have 4.25 hours left to drive and I need 6 to get home. I will pick up 3 after 10 of my recap. Will the split help me here or do I need to take my full 10 to make it. Any help would great.

5. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It sounds like you are fighting your 70 hr rule and you are going to be stuck until midnight to pick up the hours you need. Split sleeper may help because if you sleeper for 8 hrs or more, the 14 hr clock pauses. Meaning that if you stop before 1600 you will be able to roll at midnight.

One thing to consider is if you can get bobtail, you can run as POV, not subject to HOS.

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Oct 1, 2005 it was modified. You can take a 2hr break and go home only if you don't bust your 70 hr rule and the 2 hrs is applied to the 14 hr rule even though its a break. So you can't be on duty 13 hrs and take a 2 hr break ( No more than 12 hrs on duty). Split sleeper allows to break up the 10 hrs, but one period of rest must be 8 hrs which you can get at home. But on the road it must be shown in the sleeper.

Me :) I would go home and pull out my magic pen.

7. red_eye

red_eye Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    belpre, ohio
    Yep.. me too.. as long as nothing happens on the way :)

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    As others stated, it sounds like you're flirting with your 70 hr rule.

Split sleeper works like this... 8 hours IN sleeper, roll for the remaining hours you have left on your 11 /14. Then a 2 hour break....which can be taken in or out of sleeper, but must be Line 1 or 2. Then roll again for remaining 11/14.

Be careful though. Most people hose the split when they try to run it consecutive days in a row.

From what I'm reading. You're against your 70 hr. Which means you can't roll until midnite, either way.

Or...use invisible ink :biggrin_255:

9. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thats why I just take my ten. Yes it does screwed me on occaison, but it reduces the chance of being put OOS 50 miles from home.

red_eye Thanks this.
  10. corneileous

corneileous Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Podunk, OK
    Theres times I wished my paper-less logs had that "magic pen".....

11. gladiator

Apr 17, 2010
    wheeler,mi.
    This is a bit of a gray area...first..rule does not state if a driver needs to be bobtail or not...

there are several key words/phrases' here...

{at the direction of the motor carrier}

{not assuming any other responsibility}

{afforded at least 10 consecutive hrs.}

{must be considered off duty}

I too was a short distance from the house for a well deserved 3 days off....had been out 3 weeks...seemed liked 3 months....was short on daily hrs...
    I ran this reg. by my dispatch...Quoted it to them over the phone...was told that this particular reg. only applied to O/O. I stated reg does'nt specify..
    Long story short,,instead of getting into an issue with company/safety. Just did my 10... griting my teeth all the while...
    Bottom line some regs are open to interpretation....but this one seems to be pretty straight forward...

{a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver}

My advice always check with your particular company as to what their policy is according to the regulations.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.