Advice for a new driver please.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mlscondo, Jul 25, 2016.

1. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What company is this that you are referring to, that is, the one you like, but lacking in money and benefits?

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mlscondo

mlscondo Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Thanks a ton for all of your great suggestions. I have no problem with throwing boxes or physical labor however I am 5 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 150 pounds. One local company I applied for here called Shamrock Foods has applicants do a strength test of putting a 30 pound box on top of a seven ft shelf and pulling 240 lbs backwards? I have heard shamrock pays the best and has the strictest strength test. Since I am 5 ft 6 inches tall and weigh 150 pounds I was unable to meet the height test and the pull test. Like I was totally able to raise a thirty pound box fully over my head but I literally was not tall enough. Does anyone know if other food and beverage services have such strength requirements? Once again thanks a ton for all the great advice.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try :
    Old Dominion Freight Lines
    5601 Holly St. , Commerce City, CO

This company hires new cdl grads. Apply for a line haul job; this is just drop & hook.
    @mlscondo
    It is best to just walk in and ask for an application and interview; this is better than a phone call.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Really? I was around 135 at 6 foot throwing 120 pound horse feed in bags the size of a human body back on the horse farm back in the day that was the breaking in. Then it became 110 pound boxes of beef, seafood etc. Sometimes individual fish bigger than I was.

You need to find something to get into weight throwing. Break some of that fat off you.

You totally should be able to get that stuff moved. Some of those pallets exceed 2 ton in weight on a pallet jack.

Unloading a trailer sometimes mean you have to throw 48,000 or less in a few hours time.

6. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Talk to old dominion. I talked to the terminal manager there and they will take you fresh out of CDL school. You will be a p&d driver and have weekends off.

7. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    Don't listen to the people claiming you won't make money doing soda. With the way the industry is going, soda is a very good option. Sure, you're gonna bust your butt for it, but who cares? Depending on location, you can make $60-65k 1st year doing soda. It's hard work. Not necessarily long hours (as others like to say) but most definitely hard hours.

If you can bust your butt for 6-10 hours per day, TRULY bust your butt, I'd say look into it in your area

8. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Pepsi, they have local work. Frito Lay, is probably preferred.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.