Advice for first truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bighog85, Oct 23, 2020.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    my 97 works every day, (well Monday afternoon till Friday morning atleast) not running a tattle box Is another plus

For the price of that w9 I’d be calling the dealer that did the inframe with the serial numbers before anything and confirming what was actually done before even wasting my time on a Dyno. If you cannot confirm an inframe it never happened and that Is a ~25k truck. And an nxs is going to be closer to a 30-35k bill to completely go through

Takes a little more getting used to the hood but I run the NE with a 285” WB w9 and a 53’ just fine. Also, never mind my 23 year old truck, we can still call either of our local KW dealers for my uncles 1976 and get any part we need delivered in under 3 hours for the closest one, or next business day for the one a little further away (we get better pricing from)

personally I’d never spend that much on a used truck because it’s still going to need a trans or power divider etc, and it’s still a lot of money I would find a 2000 down for ~$25k or less and take a few months to go through it while you keep a company pay check, or buy a brand new one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bighog85

bighog85 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    Pretty much anything for running containers. I’d prefer a pre-emission truck but I don’t want to go too old because I have seen companies around here that won’t bring you on if your truck is over 20 years old. Anything with a recent rebuild in good shape is not cheap though. I think you’d pretty much have to pay cash for something like that, not sure too many banks will loan on older trucks.

4. bighog85

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/198218767

Any thoughts on something like this? Really low miles but it could have a lot of idle time, I’ll have to check. The coffin sleeper is not a big deal as I’m local. If I have to go over the road then something serious has gone wrong. Only has one 100 gallon tank which is another negative but I suppose I could add another.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Always get atleast a coffin sleeper, it’s easier to park a bunk truck everyday then go somewhere with a day cab

our spare truck only has a 75 gallon tank and 4.33 rears and can always get atleast a full day out of it

6. bighog85

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    Apparently this is the ecm reading for the 2017 Coronado I posted above. Not a ton of info but do those hours seem reasonable?

Attached Files:

7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I think that’s a good deal what I see of it. That low of mileage you should have very little maintenance cost. Those DD13 Detroit motors recommend anywhere from 25,000-50,000 oil change interval depending on how hard you are on it. Even 25,000 is a long time to be able to run compared to pre emission trucks. Not to mention the oil filter is right on top easy to get to when you do change it. I think you’d be happy with it.

8. bighog85

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    So, I finally have my financing worked out and it is actually a really good deal. I found a small, local bank where the owner is good friends with the owner of the company I lease onto. They will do 20% down, very good interest rate considering this is my first commercial loan (low single digit rate), and they will lend on an older truck. So now I need to know the reality on that 05 W9 that I referenced earlier. Assuming all of the paperwork on the rebuild and new transmission check out, would this be a wise decision? I’ve read on the C15 ACERT engine and it is a little intimidating. I know that all engines have issues but what do I need to consider with this? This truck will be pulling containers about 20 miles each way, 4-5 loads a day. I realize that this truck is overkill for this job but I’m trying to get something that can do just about anything. Be real, be tough, I need to make a good decision here.

9. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go over to Rawze and bring up "emission" questions. You will be burned at the stake.

10. snowfarmer350

snowfarmer350 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2020
    haha, yes sir, it’s definitely a tough crowd over there but some great info. It’s an amazing resource for figuring out your ISX after treatment systems. Lots and lots of reading

11. bighog85

Nov 20, 2011
    Daphne, AL
    I was sent this paperwork for the engine work that has supposedly been done to this truck. No serial numbers listed so I’m still skeptical. Apparently the work was done in house by the previous owner. Any ideas on how to get more verification? I don’t get the sense that this guy is trying to mislead me, I just don’t want to screw this up.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.