Advice from Swift drivers

Discussion in 'Swift' started by SPC WHIGHAM, Apr 1, 2014.

1. SPC WHIGHAM

SPC WHIGHAM Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Hey yall! I've been considering coming back over to Swift on the Walmart dedicated out of Brundidge, AL. I left Swift because they would never allow me attend the electronic log class in Decatur on the final day of orientation. I was basically turned loose with no knowledge of what any of the macros are or anything. I will admit I'm new to this newer technology, I'm used to old school everything. After going through everyone at the terminal and calling the Decatur terminal seems I could get only 1 response, we'll send you out with a trainer to learn how to drive and learn the route. It was pretty frustrating at the least because I've been driving trucks since 2007. But after being contacted almost daily by Swift it seems there's a major shortage of people on this account, any words of wisdom as how to approach this or should I run like hell :smt077

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Not that much of it makes sense but, I'd be wondering why they can't keep or get people for that Walmart account.

If it is that difficult there must be something wrong with it's workings.

4. SPC WHIGHAM

Sep 12, 2012
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Well the main reason nobody wanted to stay was 80% of it is night time work, not a major source of income, no weekends off, and in general mass confusion from what I took about dock times and when and where to be. It's different because there are no assigned trucks and alot of the drivers stay the night on the yard in their personal vehicles. I live about 45 min from the DC and I figured it would be a little better than the dried up Ag hauling I'm doing now... If only things were more organized than when I was last there.

5. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Yup, that sounds like a job I would like.
    Not!

Even aside from sleeping in my car, the working conditions don't sound very good.

6. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    It's got nothing to do with the walmart account, NO ONE WANT TO DRIVE FOR SWIFT AND BE POOR and help jerry moyes pay his Bentley payments

7. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I like driving for Swift.

And if Jerry has a Bentley, good for him.
    He has earned it!
    Jerry is the Bill Gates of the trucking industry.
    The only exception being, Jerry isn't finished yet.
    Bill might not be either, but W8 sure is a setback.

Personally, I would have gone for something different.
    Something more sporty and quick and nimble.

inkeper Thanks this.
  8. SPC WHIGHAM

Sep 12, 2012
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Haha I believe there isn't any payments to be made with that kinda money being brought in. I would have went Ferrari personally :biggrin_25525: But back to Swift it just seems that something isn't right up there considering I was there only 3 weeks and left. They must be hard up for drivers in Brundidge, I've been seeing alot of OTR drivers filling the gap or "surge" I hear they call it.

9. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Moosetek jerry moyes has a Bentley, and a 727 at sky harbor airport fyi

10. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    So what if he does? The plane, one of many, probably belongs to Swift Air, an air charter company which also does passenger and cargo service in Europe and the middle east. It is not his private plane. He has or had a custom motorcycle business as well.

11. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That's cool.

If you were in his place you would have some fun toys too, I would imagine.

I sure would.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.