Advice needed on move

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sydal, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Sydal

Sydal Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Hi guys. Me and my family currently live and are from Ireland. We have lots of family in MA and are starting to look in to moving over here. I am a fully qualified truck driver in Ireland and would like to do the same here. If we were successful in gaining our visa is there any companies who help with gaining my cdl in MA. What's the best way to do things. I could also pay for it myself. Maybe gaining our visa would be the first thing to do. Is there a shortage of drivers in MA. I do not want to do nights away as have a family.

Thanks for the help.

blairandgretchen and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    @Chinatown can certainly assist. Best of luck to you.

Sydal and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Mass is a terrible place to be a truck driver, by american standards. What town(s) are you looking at moving to?

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, which city/town will you live in?
    Difficult to recommend a starting point for trucking unless we know which city/town you'll live in or near.

Sydal Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You get a international license to drive for one year only in America. after that you need to become a resident alien or working on path to citizenship to continue driving here on a work visa.

More than likely you may have to give up your Irish CDL to America. I don't know just yet all the particulars. Your situation of coming here to drive a big truck is really rare. Not that it cannot (It can be done) be done. If you intend to stay Irish then you have to go back in a year to your home land. No more trucking here.

Warning, you will be spoiled by our Conventional. You don't have too many of those in Europe.

NavigatorWife and Sydal Thank this.
  7. Sydal

Sydal Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2019
    We would be moving to carver/Plymouth area.

So I can apply for a years working visa?

My wife is a children's therapist which I'm sure is a professional position here. Don't know if this helps things or not.

What you mean spoiled by conventional?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Your wife will have no trouble getting a good job.

Conventional is a truck with a hood. If youre used to cabovers the steering radius will be a shock.

tscottme and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Conventional offers a good ride situation compared to say your Man cabovers.

The Complete Semi Trucks Guide - The Only One You'll Ever Need

I suppose a childrens therapist would be professional however that depends on if she is listed and registered in the State Board of Nursing which carries different catagories of that type of work. And provides a ground work for testing and common rules applicable to that profession.

What is important is that you don't come to America and be a charge against the state in money terms. You will earn your own keep working here. Or you travel to visit our Land without making the state support you with money. Like welfare etc.

Im pretty sure Ireland has their own ideas about Americans if we come out to visit. =)

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's thousands of drivers here that immigrated to America.
    Paperwork is the biggest hurdle. I can't advise on that part, but your plan is achievable and not uncommon at all.

11. Sydal

Sydal Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Ah I see. Take some turning circle I bet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.