advice needed

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by nmatam2004, Apr 6, 2017.

1. nmatam2004

nmatam2004 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2017
    0 0

just need advice

Hello, so just got my licence 6 months ago but what really caught my attention was hazmat,i've been trainning for 2 months with fuel and i feel like i'm almost there,have gone up hill a couple of times and twice i loose complete speed and have to start all over again wich is nerve wrecking,with my trainner getting frustrated makes it hard sometimes to concentrate,we have to park the truck reverse its a truck/trailer tank,i know that when is semi if you go left tank goes right, go right goes left, i cannot find the way on truck/trailer, and figure out how to control the back trailer,for some reason i feel like my trainner is not helping in that area.. have tried it like 10 times n cannot figure it out,i can load and unload, drive all the time loaded and unloaded but this errors i just cant fix them and its the only thing holding me back to driving and start working on my own...thank u for your time.. sorry for the grammar :/..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Just wanna make sure im understanding what your saying here.

Are you asking how to back doubles?

4. nmatam2004

Apr 6, 2017
    No how to back up truck and trailer, i know we cannot back up doubles

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  5. nmatam2004

Apr 6, 2017
    Ok fixed my post so its not too confusing, i call it doubles because is two tanks,one mounted to chassis,and trailer being pulled,there is no fifth wheel.

scythe08 and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  6. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    Gotcha! I wasnt trying to be a smartassss, just wasnt sure exactly what you ment.

I was kinda thinking thats what kind of outfit you might have been referring to. Your trailer is a pindel hook connected to the back of your truck. Its a little bit of a different animal than a fifthwheel setup.

Its gonna be hard to put into to words how to coach you on this. Your right, you trainer should be SHOWING you exactly how to do this. Why is he not showing you?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    nmatam2004 Thanks this.
  8. nmatam2004

Apr 6, 2017
    Well i think its hard for him,he says he knows how to do it himself but its hard for him to teach the reverse portion,hes not an actual trainner, im going to be working for him so hes not too used to trainning others..

9. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    Basically, this needs to be a hands in learning curve. Your gonna need you judgement and a little guess work (that i personally cant put into words for you someone else might) that only you can feel and see.

Best way i can describe is like when i back a gravity or hay wagon into the barn.

While your backing up, turn the steering wheel RIGHT. This kicks the trailer tongue to the RIGHT also, which just like your tractor, the front of your trailer starts to track to the LEFT, but the rear of your trailer is going RIGHT. Once you see the slightest change of course going in reverse with your trailer, you need to follow back up quickly to maintain control of where the trailer is going. Dont try to make hard turns, and take it slow until you figure it out.

Everyones judgement is different. I wish there was a better way to explain it.

10. nmatam2004

Apr 6, 2017
    Thank u,yeah it seems hard to explain even for my trainner.. so i guess i kind of have to continue practicing until i get it. :/..

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  11. snowman_w900

Nov 25, 2010
    Hate to say it, but yes. I think you will get better results experiencing what NOT to do on your own instead of others telling you WHAT to do.

One thing i can suggest is just take your time and try not to cut to sharp or let the trailer get away from you.

Good luck! Let us know how ya do!

nmatam2004 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.