Advice, please: Getting back into trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Blue Roads, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Blue Roads

Blue Roads Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2014
    I've got driving experience, but it's been a while, and I'd like some suggestions. Ultimately I want to pull tankers, but it's looking like I may need gain some recent driving experience to make the transition.

Here's my history:

Got my CDL in 95, drove 95-2000.
    Drove again 2004-2005.

Drove from 03/2009 through 09/2011.
    Business slowed down, was doing non-driving work for the same company, had a lapse in judgment and let my CDL lapse when I renewed it.
    Got CDL back in 03/2013, drove until 08/2013.

I've driven regional in NY/NJ/CT areas and can put a truck in some difficult spots.
    There was a lumber yard in Shreveport that was a back through a gate then a staggered blindside into a building. I think that was one of my favorite challenges. I'll try to find details of the location.

The challenge I'm facing is that the company I was with from 2009-2013 doesn't report to DAC, so it's difficult to verify my experience there. I don't have my medical card that was issued 2009-2011, but I do have a copy of the card issued in 2011, and a current medical card issued in 2013.

I have double/triple, tank, and hazmat.
    One speeding ticket, written for 10% over limit, in 2012.

So basically I have 5 months of recent verifiable experience. Please give suggestions on positions that may be available for me.

If I have to go OTR for a while, I'll do it. Any info on companies will be greatly appreciated.

I live in Dallas.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Lot of companies have terminals in the DFW area and a lot of them are hurting for drivers. Have you put any apps in yet. Chinatown will probably be here soon and he knows the best ones for you to contact.

Chinatown and Blue Roads Thank this.
  4. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Why do you need DAC to verify experience? Contact your previous employers for a letter of employment verification, show prior tax documents or pay stubs. I would never rely on a third party for anything, unless, there is no other option.

Blue Roads and Milkman719 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider might put you to work in their tanker division if you do a refresher course. It's worth a phone call to find out.

[TABLE="width: 652"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 3"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="width: 260, align: right"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: contact_bckgrd"][/TD]
    [TD="class: phone_bckgrd"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    The way I would go about finding work would be on Monday .
    1 Get dressed in good clean work clothes.
    2 Start first thing in the morning going to every place I knew they had trucks
    3 Ask to talk to the man that does the hiring
    4 Be honest and straight forward
    5 Be ready to go to work that minute
    6 Be ready to take whatever they have to get in the door .

I cant imagine that it would be hard to find a local job in your area with a little leg work and a willingness to bust your butt .
    Just the way I would do it but I am a old fart that still does things the old way .
    I am sure that there are much more high tech better ways.

Good luck and be safe them people in Dallas are nuts LOL !!!

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Not sure about companies, but you will most likely need a refresher course before anyone big will take you on, you have not been driving in over a year now.

The company that doesn't use DAC, which is good maybe as far as reporting things on drivers records, should still have someone at the company that can be reached for your job history, either HR, or the owner if it were a small place or whatever, unless they fail to answer the phone or went out of business. In that case do you have W-2's for that year from the company to prove that you were working for them, also cancelled check stubs might help.

I would stay away from places like CR England.

Husband is at Prime, they do have the lightbody trucks if you go company; he is now leasing with full size truck. I am not sure of their hiring policy, if they have a refresher course or not.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If Schneider tanker doesn't work out, try Stevens tanker division or FFE tanker division.
    FFE also has refresher.

Blue Roads Thanks this.
  9. Blue Roads

Jun 28, 2014
    The recent experience is easy enough to verify. So far I've had some trouble with proving driving experience from 09-11. The company has no problem verifying that I drove for them and has done so, but that wasn't enough in one instance.

10. moraramis

moraramis Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    Prime has their own CDL school that'll help get you your CDLs, so i'm sure they offer a refresher course for their employees. Prime also has a tanker division. In reality though any company that has company trainer can offer a refresher course since this is what it basically is: Train you a little bit at orientation then send you on the road with a company trainer for a week or more.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. Blue Roads

Jun 28, 2014
    You know, I've done that in the past and it's worked. I'll give it a shot.

Yes, Dallas drivers are insane. I don't think I'd do a local gig here, but I'm open to relocating.

Your name reminds me of a dump truck gig I had years ago, drove an 86 Marmon for a while. I think the hood on that one was bigger than a 379 Pete. Small cars would disappear if it got too close stopped at a light. It had dual steering boxes and an Eaton transmission with an insanely low gear. You could split the low range, and the shift pattern was like what I hear people talk about on the 13-speed double overdrive, with the pattern going top left, bottom left, bottom right, top right.

Also, have you seen the 87 Marmon tractor that's leased on to Landstar? Last time I saw it was 2010 at the Flying J in Jackson MS, it's got a huge sleeper on it and is painted up to look like a cabin. Says "Kozy Kabin" on the side.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.