Advice, please: Who will hire me?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Countess, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Countess

Countess Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi, I'm looking for any and all advice to help me.

I've been an OTR driver for just over 3 months. I love it! I have a lot going for me, too. I'm clean, happy, polite, friendly, and loyal; a courteous driver; with excellent customer service skills and a great load delivery record. I get along great with both dispatchers and customers as well as other drivers. Also, I seem to be a pretty good driver, according to my trainers, testers, and some older drivers, who have all expressed disbelief at my level of experience.

Here's the problem: I backed into a passenger car, resulting in my being cancelled from insurance and subsequently released from employment. I also have one ticket on my MVR, from 2 1/2 years ago in my personal vehicle for speeding.

My company (PAM) did not want to let me go and expressed regret, but had no choice. Both the officer at the accident scene and the company agreed that it sounded like the car was hiding behind me looking for trouble, but that does not negate my responsibility, unfortunately.

So, three + months of experience, one accident, one (older) ticket, and terminated for a safety offense. It sounds really bad, and most companies I've talked to are excited to hear from me until the full story comes out.

I know I'll probably have to work for poor pay, or for a less-than-great company, but that's okay. I just need to get a few months more experience and some companies will forgive my sins. I absolutely do not want to give up driving, and prefer OTR to anything else.

Can anybody give me advice, or leads on who to talk to, or anything? ANYTHING is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mr truckdriver

mr truckdriver Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2008
    ft myers fl
  4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Buy some new shoes !!!!!

with the thickest soles you can find, because you have a few doors to knock on !!!!

Eventually, somebody will hire you.

5. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    Some of the very large companies are self-insured. They are more likely to be forgiving than an insurance company would be. There are hundreds of trucking companies, so just keep filling out applications until you get a bite.

Countess Thanks this.
  6. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    My friend is going to Covenant after being out of the truck for 3yrs now . He racked up whole mess of tickets, everything from speeding to accidents. No one would touch him but Covenant. So atleast give them a try plus some companies will still hire u with the accident on ur record, u just have to keep applying.

Countess Thanks this.
  7. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Oh yeah all those tickets he got came from truck driving.

8. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    hard to say but try swift.

9. mgt1085

mgt1085 Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2009
    west palm beach,fl
    look for self insured companies or worst case wait for ticket to fall off then reapply to a training company and go out with a trainer if u really like otr u will suck it up

10. Cudascious

Cudascious Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    These do not seem to go together.

always GOAL before moving, heck there might be a bum sleeping under your trailer, you never know....

11. Countess

Countess Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Yup, I am very aware of that little bit of mismatch, lol!! I try to tell myself I am still new and that is a lesson learned hard, but learned well. However, in the end- yup, I did a stupid thing. :-( Never again, I can promise that! Lol!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.