Advice please?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by arrow12, Mar 18, 2019.

1. arrow12

arrow12 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Hi everyone, I do not have a CDL. I would like to get one and I know there are companies that will train you. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good company? Does anyone know of any recruiters that can point me in the right direction? I am willing to travel anywhere. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Have you tried using the Search function?

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Location would help

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Millis Transfer is pretty good for training and new drivers.

6. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Search local jobs. Beverage companies like Pepsi, coke, beer companies start training around now for summer season.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Recruiters like to make promises that are never in writing. Keep them away with a 10 foot pole.

There is no such thing as a good company, but rather good people who work within same. For every "Good" company you probably have had your share of bad ones. Ive had many bad companies fail, but the people who were part of it did not know how to run a company very well and so they failed. Not for being bad people but not knowing what they are doing. You will find people within the DOT and FMCSA power structure who never touched a 18 wheeler in life.

Anyway.

Chinatown is the man for this. I am not sure what happened to him recently but he will be around sooner or later.

8. arrow12

arrow12 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Thank you Packers fan. I'm talking to them now.

9. Jay M

Jay M Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2017
    NorCal
    Some LTL companies offer a dock-to-driver program where you get hired on as a dockworker and work the dock for 3mos then you're eligible to transition over to their driver training program. I know Estes Express and Saia offer those programs and I believe there's no contractual obligation for you to fulfill.

10. RubbleOnD

RubbleOnD Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Chicago
    I know in some locations McLane is look for driver trainees(not an easy gig). If you really serious go to the DMV get the CDL book and study. You can always get your permit without any company. Just be careful when signing anything, if a company puts you through school be prepared to work for them or pay them. Might find a local school as a cheaper option. I myself worked on the dock then paid for my own school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.