Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Jul 2, 2019.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Looking at a 2002 KW T600 with a Cummins ISX motor. Better than 800,000 miles on the clock, no info currently available on rebuild/overhaul. Is a single owner truck, O/O who traded in for a new truck. Does have a current PA inspection sticker.

Price is really nice, most likely due to the auto transmission.

Is there anything specific I should look for on this engine? I'm interested due to the lack of DPF/SCR, but if I'm looking at an immediate in-frame, I'm gonna put this one on the back burner and keep shopping.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You gotta do main bearings right away. If it's not late, I have seen these engines go to 1.3-1.5 mil without rebuild.
    But majority of people end up inframing them right at 800k-1.1mil miles

FlaSwampRat and brsims Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Oil analysis? At 800 grand there's bound to be some wear.
    Also, look at the age of all the accessories...alternator, pump, harnesses, turbo and such...replacing them can nickle and dime you to death.

FlaSwampRat and brsims Thank this.
  5. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    If you are near it look to see if it has old oil and if so oil analysis if not with no info you need to look over it with a fine tooth comb or hire a mechanic you trust

brsims Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dyno and blow by at least, oa on engine trans and axles and an ecm full dump.

If the oil has been changed, do it anyway, let the truck run at high idle until everything is warmed up then pull a sample.

shatteredsquare and brsims Thank this.
  7. Spyro2112

Spyro2112 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Buy it, spend 20 grand rebuild it drive, if not buy a one that u don't have to rebuild for awhile, ur going to spend money

brsims Thanks this.
  8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Should be decent. That was built well before they had camshaft wear issues. I had a 2001 565 hp, but I traded it off at 900,000 miles. Had no issues with it.

brsims Thanks this.
  9. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I thank you all!

I'm going to look at it next weekend. The price has me worried. A "too good to be true" kinda worried. So I'm looking at some other trucks in the area.

Only looking close to home-ish. Money isn't the problem. I'm still working as a company clown, and don't want to burn a bridge before I head off into the sunrise. So extensive travel looking at trucks is a no go. Especially since I do NOT under any circumstances fly.

Would give my left arm for a pre-07 Detroit 60 with a fresh rebuild. Preferably in an affordable Columbia. Ain't looking for pretty, I wanna WORK truck!

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    There is no need to give up your left arm, my mechanic has a 99 Volvo, with a freshly built 12.7 Detroit. I watched him building it for the last year in his spare time. Everything is new there including the block. He said he will sell the truck for no less than 45k, otherwise he will just put a driver in it

rank, Intothesunset and brsims Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Research the transmission while you're at it.

brsims Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.