Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Kw 8 bag always feels a little different than a 4 bag suspension. And new tires always feel a little squirrelly.

brsims Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    A thought to throw out to all of you.

I have plenty of cushion money to start this adventure. And I've committed to this truck in particular, due to many factors that make it perfect for what I'm going to do with it.

However, it is a high mileage truck, and a high mileage engine. My thought is to get the truck, and replace the engine with a new factory remanned ISX NOW rather than run the current engine.

My train of thought is this (and PLEASE point out and discrepancies and offer advice yes or no):

A complete factory remanned engine is averaging around 9,500 plus shipping and install. And comes with a limited warranty. Well within my budget, considering the truck cost 26,100 out the door. Being a pre-emissions truck, a new engine will almost double the value of the truck.

The current engine feels strong, and I THINK it's been overhauled within the last two years or so. But I don't have an oil analysis, a dyno (did a test drive instead, which I believe tells a decent driver more anyway) or a blow-by. Was planning to do that when I put it in for the ABS issue. Have money set aside for the testing and if needed repairs.

I'm leaning heavily towards a new engine. Takes some major risk out of the equation, and a complete takes a lot of common fail parts off the table with new (water pump, injectors, all that fun stuff).

So hit me, oh Lords and Ladies of independent operators. Thoughts both good and bad. All advice welcome, and will be considered, if not necessarily followed.

Many thanks in advance!

@DUNE-T , @Ridgeline, @REO6205, @TripleSix and any others who want to jump in!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    JPenn Thanks this.
  4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    If you've got the bankroll, install a reman, and either sell the old one to defray costs, or rebuilt it at your leisure. Pay it now before you get to working it, or pay it later, under a load, in a remote or difficult area, right? Because things that break never pick an opportune time to do so. Also, while you're getting ready to roll, don't neglect any other parts of the driveline or braking systems. Again, pay now or pay later. Obviously there is a point of diminishing return to this mindset and you have to know where to draw the line, but it's the way I like to work, given the choice.

My $.02, worth what you paid, etc.

brsims Thanks this.
  5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    One of my thoughts was a new remanned engine (with warranty) would also increase the sale value of the truck.

Plan ZZ (the back up plan to the backup plan to the backup plan) if I completely and utterly fail as an owner operator inside my first year is to not be underwater on the truck, I can sell it for fair value and get at least what I put into it out at sale.

Selling is a final option, and a sign of absolute failure for me. Not a plan, but a fallback. I've been rolling this around in my head for almost a decade now. I've hopefully planned for just about every reasonable and unreasonable eventuality.

JPenn Thanks this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    $9500? More like $25000-30000

7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Thank you, sir!

Are you quoting cost plus install? I ask because the prices I'm seeing around here for '05 and earlier ISX's are hitting around the $10,000 with a good core.

8. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    9500.00 will get you a bare block from Cummins. Also an 04 will have an 03 model year engine which is the first year for EGR,so it's not pre emissions.

Humblepie Thanks this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    A reman Isx from an authorized dealer is about $30k installed. You are probably talking some third party engines.
    Genuine parts alone cost more than $10k

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Understood, sir. Still an option.

Another thought is maybe do a full out of frame rebuild on the current block?

I already have a good relationship with my local shop of mad mechanical geniuses, and the current block appears (before any testing) to be very solid.
    $30k is inside my budget. Barely, but doable and leaves me my "oh crud" cushion. But if a new remanned is $30k installed, a complete overhaul would then fall realistically inside $20k, yes?

Overhaul it, run it for say two years, then drop a remanned in?

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Overhaul, yes, about $20k. Why run it only for two years? It should be good for at least 5

brsims Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.