Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Jul 2, 2019.

1. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    I would start at 15000. You can adjust it from there. When I was working for a fleet we had 50 T600's with N14's when we went from 12k to 20k the add oil went up significantly. I think if the bean counters would have put it on paper we didn't save any money.

brsims and Humblepie Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I can certainly understand where you are coming from. God knows I've had the same issue with car dealers, including some I not only refuse to work with but actively steer other people away from.

The dealer I'm working with, however, has been endlessly helpful, always ready to answer the dumbest question I can come up with, and endlessly patient with me. They are actively working to not only make me happy, but to retain me as a future repeat customer. I appreciate everything they are doing, and will be posting a full review once I've completed the full process.

HopeOverMope and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA

So 15-20,000 wouldn't, in your opinion, be overkill for steel haul?

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you have the money... Banks smile at you.

If you aint.. YOU smile at the bank Savvy?

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA

My banker is VERY HAPPILY smiling at me.

As a personal bonus, she's also single and seems to find me charming. (Hey, I'm ugly! Charm is all I got going for me....and a slightly twisted sense of humor.)

JoeyJunk and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Grease and oil are cheap. Metal is not.

Ruthless, JoeyJunk and brsims Thank this.
  8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Winner for best answer!

JoeyJunk and Humblepie Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Mine are not too bad. They have been pretty decent considering.

I watch every penny a month or two ahead. Essentially the income is already spent 3 months ahead. Sheesh.

brsims Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    After ten years of busting tail and tightening the old belt, I now have both liquid capital and leverage-able assets. And a fantastic credit rating.

I'm in a great position financially, and have the ability to completely recover if everything goes totally pear-shaped on me.

One of the biggest failure points I've seen with new Owner/Ops has been the fact they go whole hog and dump everything (including things they can't afford to lose and shouldn't risk) on a dream sold to them by some lease purchase recruiter.

My home is paid for. So is my car. I own all the toys I actually want. My credit card debt is minimal, and will be zero by the end of the month. My only outstanding debt is a couple of student loans from back when I bought into the college BS, and those are not only caught up but paid a couple of months in advance.

I'm in my early 40's, in better health than I have any honest right to be considering my lazy lifestyle outside of the truck, and have been working towards this for over half my life, even before I seriously considered it to be a possibility.

And thanks to the very knowledgeable people I have been lucky enough to know over the course of my life, I believe that I am now ready.

x1Heavy and Humblepie Thank this.
  11. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    You will be successful. You’ve done the hard part already.

brsims Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.