Advice please

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Blackandgold, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Blackandgold

Blackandgold Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Hi all. I finished school and got my CDL a couple weeks ago. I've been looking for a local job. I've submitted many applications online and a couple in person. I have one job offer but its for a class B. The pay isn't too bad and its a mon-fri done by 6pm job, which is ideal for my situation.

I have an interview coming up with a different company and I'm pretty sure I'll be offered a job. It starts out at $1.15 less an hour and for 3-5 weeks I'll be working on the dock and going on some deliveries. After that I'll be driving a tractor-trailer but I will have no set schedule. I'll be on call 24/7 and they'll give a 1-5hr notice before I have to be there. I don't believe either job would be a career.

Would it be better to just suck it up for a year or 2 with the inconsistent schedule of the 2nd company and get the proper experience needed for a better job? Because I'm assuming having a year of experience driving a straight truck will do nothing for trying to get a class A job.

Rideandrepair and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you apply to those companies on your other thread from November 2018?
    I'd take the tractor-trailer job with some dock work thrown in.
    The box truck job seems ok, but if you want tractor-trailer work, just pass on that for now.

4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    be very careful getting out of your class. some companies dont consider 2 years class b the same as class a

5. Blackandgold

Nov 16, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Yes I applied to a couple of them. A couple of them are too far away from my house. I do want to drive a tractor-trailer.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If the tractor-trailer outfit offers you a job, take it.

7. Blackandgold

Nov 16, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Thats what I'm afraid of.

8. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    A few places don't consider local as experience either.

9. Blackandgold

Nov 16, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I would still be looking for a local job after I gain a year or 2 of experience. I would like to do OTR at some point, but not for atleast 4 or 5 years.

10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    This is very true. I've been driving for 18 years and thought i might wanna try otr and nobody was interested. Same goes the other way around too, if you are trying to jump from otr to local most local companies don't look at otr as experience. That's why I always tell people to try to start where you think you want to end up. I know life changes sometimes and changes have to be made but if you ultimately wanna run otr try to start otr or regional and if you wanna run local long term try to start there.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If I am going to baby sit a 18 wheeler oncall to move at hours notice or less, it better have a sleeper berth in it. You can satellite me when you are #### well ready and not a minute before. We are ready to go, just need to punch off the brakes and pour coffee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.