Advice please

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sixela918, Jul 1, 2022.

1. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Stop posting anywhere about this. You are committed to a stoty by posting. If this goes to court your statements here will be available.
    Do some research on lawyers.
    Even if you feel good in a few weeks when you are 60 you will feel it every day.

dunchues and Sixela918 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Good that your alive, get a lawyer and let them deal with everything, including the company.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    if you were seriously injured , I’d say get a lawyer , broken bones is a serious injury .

Get some pics of the truck and accident scene if you can from whoever took them .

The truck is accessible at whatever tow yard it’s sitting in , but a lot of times you won’t be allowed to access it because the cops think you are trying to remove evidence etc .

have your lawyer get the data dump from the trucks computer .

And delete this thread .

Sixela918 Thanks this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    You describe injuries that will have a life-long effect on you and your families well being.

You were on the job so workmen's compensation is responsible for your medical treatment.

You need personal guideance throughout the entire process, an advocate.

Being employed by the same company as the driver and being assigned to team with that person may include a plethoria of legal entanglements

Good personal legal council is needed.

Any legal entanglements from the accident will be defended by the company's insurance provided lawyers but remember their focus is not on you but to seek the cheapest resolution for their employer...the insurance company.

Please stop posting on here and follow everyone's advise. You need every advantage available to become 'whole'....remember that work you want to be made whole!

Get this thread deleted.

Sixela918 Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I will say this about hiring an attorney! You don't need anything but an attorney that will collect all the documentation and keep it filed away. Somebody that knows the insides of this process will keep the playing field level for you. Hopefully, you won't need to file any lawsuits, but you want an attorney that can and will. Most attorneys won't charge for a first consultation. Depending you might also be able to get a court to order their reasonable fees be paid by the company.

I have seen several examples over the years where a person hired an attorney, paid them a small retainer and they were in the process of looking out for the person.

Sixela918 Thanks this.
  7. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank you to everyone for all the helpful replies.

8. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    A Cajun would go looking for an avocat first off. That’s lawyer in French.

wis bang Thanks this.
  9. CaliRaised

CaliRaised Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Hire an attorney. Don't share any details with anyone other than your attorney and anyone your attorney advises you to tell. That is my advice for anyone in this type of situation.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    30+ years ago I would not give this advice. However, in today's world, a trucker can get fined thousands just by driving over the wrong bridge or using a weight-restricted road. State depending on a HOS violation because each day is considered a violation can reach into the thousands. Even in the event of a crash that is not the fault of the driver, somebody can lie, leaving you in trouble and subject to a lawsuit. I know this happens because in the 90s an ambulance chaser type was caught badgering a witness to change their statement. The other day I was reading a comment on Facebook where a driver was added to a lawsuit that is seeking several million. In all honesty, given how hostile the environment has got for drivers I would NOT drive local or OTR and not be part of a legal plan. I might also see about a personal liability insurance policy (If I can afford it).

Sixela918 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.