Advice please

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Samot, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
    Let me give you a quick run down on myself. I drove a tri-axle roll off for someone for 14 years, I've always wanted to start my own business for many years. I was on this site a long time ago asking for help then. I was getting a lot of negative feedback, maybe negative isn't the correct word to use but it was don't do it, you'll fail, times are hard.. blah blah. Well I started a dump truck business in February of 2017, it's going great and have no regrets doing it.

So my question is, because its going so good I'm looking to add another truck. Not a dump truck though, I'm looking to buy a day cab to run recyclables. It will need to have wet lines for a dump trailer. Anyway what kind of day cab do you suggest ? I see internationals are very cheap, along with volvo. I don't want to spend more than 35k to start, 40k tops. I was also looking at freightliners, DD13 and DD15. Just about everything I find do not have wet lines, so they will need to be installed. If someone could give me some advice on what motors to lean to and what to stay away from that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    What kind of Recycs? Normal household trash ? Is it processed (flattened out) of just like a curbside pick up (mostly bulk) therefore light ? You want a workhorse kind of truck ( i would go with 400HP engine) Good luck.

4. Samot

Samot Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgia
    It's metal, so yes I'd want something that has power.. I also want it to reliable lol

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I suggest you get something pre-emissions with a CAT, Cummins or Detroit and within your budget.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    yeah truckers just a lovely bunch of people really :rolleyes: always ready to help a fellow trucker out when the need arises, :cool: sometimes i've found its not what you say but how you say it, or how you word it i guess when your typing, there is a whole section in there for owner operators as well or try typing in your question in the search engine at the top of the page its amazing what results come up. Bottom line is your responsible for your own business decisions unless you have an equal partner, best to go get a risk assessment done by a qualified accountant the money spent will be well worth the effort.

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I vote late 90’s early 00’s 379 with a kitty cat. Even a C12 would work well for your operation. The 379 day cabs can actually be rather light. I know they are lighter than a comparable Mack.

8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Find something in good shape without the EPA mandate, have the dealer or find a shop to install the wet kit. Wet kits are available used and or new, shop around.

9. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Glider kit if you can get one then install wet kit

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.