Aeolus tires

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 1Diesel, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Sadly,...a lot of American branded tires are manufactured in China and shipped back tot he states. I read somewhere that Good Year saves approx $3 - $7 a tire by doing this.

The flip side how ever is that tire rejections due to quality assurance went up something like 5 - 7% vs when made here in the states. I refuse to buy any GoodYear tires because of this.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    There is a way to tell where the tire was made. Those letters stamped into the side that nobody reads there is a way to determine the plant they rolled out of. I remember looking into it probably 4 or 5 years ago and at the time at least all the Michelin came out of North American plants. In that moment it solidified my decision to only run them.
    I should look at it again. I'll get the laptop out again one of these days and hopefully remember to post what I find. I just have a difficult time knowingly buying something made in China when I know that is hurting someone, somewhere, on this side of the drink. The quality issue is another major factor.

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Name anything in your household, what is made in North America during last 10 years and not overseas...

5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Washing machine
    Fridge
    Furnace/ac unit (just replaced in Jan. )
    Stove is like 40 years old. Still works. Frigidaire I think.

Does that mean when I have a choice, while it may cost me a bit more, I should say "well we already lost so much, I may as well save a few bucks my one purchase here and there won't make a difference anyway" ?? With that attitude over enough time we won't have the choice to buy things like Michelin tires and whirlpool appliances (drive by the plant in Clyde Ohio from time to time).

HalpinUout, Tug Toy and spyder7723 Thank this.
  6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    image.jpg My steer firestones are stamped made in the USA. Paid $300 each for them 125k miles ago. Still over 1/2 the tread. FS 591.

7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    image.jpg 4 of my drive firestones were made USA too. Fd 663. They were used for $75 each. I have put the same 125k miles on them also. My front 4 drive tires are daytons and were made in China. I bought the new for $200 each. They are doing fine also.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Firestone makes a good tire. If i had to buy tires at retail that's what i would get.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    This has been my experience.

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I agree with your buy local sentiment BUT....

I paid up for a set of Michelin steers and they both wore funny after 60,000 miles. Took the truck in for an all wheel the guy said it was perfect. My tire guy said they would only replace one tire but not both. So I took the free tire and bought a matching Michelin from another tire shop and both have been fine. Either Michelin screwed me or my tire guy screwed me. PAy for quality......stand behind the product......blah blah blah they are all talk and no walk. Tell me why I would buy Michelin again?

11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That's a fair statement.... has not been my experience yet I guess. Maybe I'll change my tune if it happens to me....until then I'm sticking with what I'm doing

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.