After Hours+Oversized+Without Permit=$4340 Dollar Fine!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by mjd4277, Dec 9, 2022.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    1970, go for it. 2022, not a good idea. Some are slower to evolve with the times than others. $4340 is crazy cheap.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    No worries-from time to time we’ve seen some clowns attempt to move questionable loads while rolling dirty but this one takes the cake-even by Georgia’s standards!
    Looking at the fine made my wallet spontaneously combust!!LMAO

LtlAnonymous, beastr123 and REO6205 Thank this.
  4. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I know exactly where that driver got nailed,because I ran Walmart dedicated loads out of the Monroe DC all the time to the Augusta area!
    Driver tried to run GA Route 10,which also carries US-78 into Augusta. He was trying to dodge the Grovetown scales on
    I-20,which would’ve required him to go in!! The load was being run from Warrenton to Waynesboro. Worse,he tried to LIE to the officer about the permit-look at the lower left hand corner of the citation at the officer’s remarks-it states that the driver said that the permit was at the office!!!SMH
    DOT officer saw that load on that road and ALREADY KNEW something was up!
    The minute the sun set that day,that driver was doomed to fail!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Coffey and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    More like the moment he took the load it was doomed to fail. If he was (at least mostly) legal he won't have been trying to dodge the scales after all....

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Look at his equipment; He knew exactly what he was doing and has probably done it many times before - calculated risk. $4300 is most likely just the cost of doing business to him. Could very well be a contractor hauling his own stuff.

I don't have that appetite for risk, but I know many that do.

7. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    I think you’re probably right. If he would have done it in the daylight he would have got away with it. Moving it at night is where he goofed up.

8. Jubal Early Times

Oct 17, 2022
    Honestly though. Georgia will give 148,000 on a seven axle setup. They also self issue permits for that 24/7 and it’s a $36 dollar permit. He was grossing well over that, but he could have got away with it if he had been moving it during the daylight. He would have had a permit to show them and they wouldn’t have put him on portables. If they would have even stopped him.

Coffey, Tb0n3, LtlAnonymous and 6 others Thank this.
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Yeah, a $36 self-issue permit changes things a bit, but I still don't believe that he was ignorant of the ramifications of failure.

Coffey, LtlAnonymous, mjd4277 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Jubal Early Times

Oct 17, 2022
    No doubt. He’s done it countless times. Law of averages. Eventually you’ll roll snake eyes. They will be right back to doing it next week. I’m not throwing rocks at them. I’ve done my share, but the first rule of bootlegging. Do it when you blend in and when you would normally be out there. Can’t be an outlaw if you stick out like a sore thumb.

that’s how you get caught.

11. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    That’s the thing,he was trying to dodge the scales,that’s why he ran it at night. The Grovetown scales are typically open until at least 5 pm,although once in a blue moon they have worked in the evening!
    Usually they’re doing safety blitzes or focusing on can haulers!
    The fact that he lied about having the permit was the nail in the coffin-it says right on the citation that the permit is not available! So rest assured the DOT officer checked the database to see if one was issued/applied for.
    He dodged the scales knowing he didn’t have any permits!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.