after orientation w/swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Pillsbury, Oct 5, 2008.

1. getitgirl

getitgirl Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Tyler, TX

I dont think you have a bad recruiter- unless they only work For Swift. They want the money to place you. I think Swift is only hiring out of their own schools right now. Everything Swift does right now is for the bottom line. They will make more money from the government if the hire the students that they had in thier schools. I havent heard anybody with prior experince getting hired latley.
    If your recruiter cant find you somthing- you should try another one though. Companies are hiring right now, but its a lot harder than it was 10 months ago. Keep your head up and just plow on ahaed.....:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bill122250

bill122250 Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    I had my background approved on the 2nd of June. It is now 2 months later and I am still waiting for a slot for orientation. On time she told me she had me a slot and the next day she told me she didn't. Just have to wait, especially if you recruiter is not from the terminal you will go to orientation at. I am supposed to be next on her list, so I hope to go in September

4. getitgirl

getitgirl Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Hey bill-
    If you have any kind of experience and nothing wrong on your DAC you ought to try another company. Swift is fine to get experience and for every 1 bad trainer they really do have 1 good one...... but, their not a company for Drivers..... meaning, if you have your own thoughts or ideas about how something could be done better or even just different-- they wont listen to you...... its very much by THEIR BOOK...which is ok due to the fact that their mainly a training company and students and new drivers do need strict guidelines.
    The problem is that none of the "office" can or will listen to anything that hasnt been written in their ""Bible"" --Answers to Drivers Questions"
    At least that was our experience.....
    If your new--try some of the other big companies that also do training... it maybe more work on your part but Im sure someone is hiring... just keep looking

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  5. Flatbroke

Flatbroke Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Hello all!
    Been a couple of exhausting days. I am suppose to hook up with my mentor tomorrow if everything goes ok. They got us checking out of the hotel in the morning either way and dragging luggage to the training facility. Either way, I am on my way with mentor or on my way home till mentor shows up.

Brent

6. bill122250

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    Congrats Brent.

How was it.

7. bill122250

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA

I don't have any expierence. I had a suspension on my license for failure to appear. I happened after I moved to Arizona from Mass and I didn't know about it until AZ cancelled my license 3 years later. I got a lawyer and had all chages dropped and everything reinstated and have been turned down by Werner, trans Am and HO Wolding along with Crete and Roehl. That is the only thing I can think of. i had a misdemeanor drug charge in 1981 but don't know if that will have anything to do with it.

8. getitgirl

getitgirl Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Sorry about that Bill- that failure to appear thing sounds like something would happen to me... move to a new state.....forget about something IMPORTANT I was supposed to do.... like go to court... my luck-it would have been for something as minor as a speeding ticket for going 11 miles over..... so I know how that could. BUT
    since you do have a little extra stuff the companies have to deal with it might make it harder for you to get a job.
    Have you personally seen your DAC.... Ive heard that the companies that turn you down for employment are supposed to give you a copy of it. If you haven't requested one in a year- they will mail you one for free. You ought to look at it yourself so you know what the companies are looking at. If the lawyer said everything was dropped, and you're just telling the other companies about it -- it might not even be on there and your telling off on your self for no reason. lol... you should look if you havent.
    I know some companies will look at hiring on drivers as a ""case by case"" if there is something wrong on their DAC. My husband and I have a CPV-other...company policy violation. as to why we were fired from Swift. It actually kind of helped us because the other companies know how swift is and when we told them what happened it wasnt even an issue. We got two job offers in less than a week. But we had a recruiter that was willing to get a company to listen.... not just look at the DAC and see that we had been fired.
    Look at your DAC if you havent..... keep trying...... if you want to be a truck driver...you'll find a job..... maybe you need a different recruiter.....I guess we got lucky with the guy that called us from one of our on-line applications...
    Keep me posted--good luck

9. bill122250

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    I got a copy of my DAC because Crete sent me a letter saying they didn't take me because of my DAC. It shows a suspension. My DMV record shows the suspension was for a warrant and that is all. I have tried Prime and am waiting to here from them, going to call tomorrow. I think the problem with my recruiter is she is from a different terminal than where orientation will be. She only gets so many slots. I am next on the list with her so i should get to go in September. I have an open mind about Swift and think it is only what you make of it.

10. Flatbroke

Flatbroke Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Derry, NH
    I was impressed with the people I have met. They run a very tight ship as far as I can see. The orientation made me realize how little I knew about the industry. They are scrutinizing applicants...so my advice is get your hazmat; this will put you above the competition for the few jobs they have available. The more endorsements you have the better off you will be. As they are trying to build the business in Canada, bring your passport with you. You are more likely to pick up extra miles if you run into Canada. (you must have NO dui's and squeaky clean driving record, also no child support back-payments)

One of the students overslept and came in late from the hotel. I wasn't surprised when they said "Hit the Road..." WOW!:biggrin_2554: If you came back 1 minute late from break time they locked the door made you wait till the terminal manager came and then got your ### chewed out. If you did it twice you where history. They are looking for people that take this seriously. There are hundreds of applicants...so my advice is take this seriously or don't bother going.

As it stands now I am on a bus that happens to have WI-FI and headed home from Syracuse. I spoke with my mentor and may be leaving on Sunday for my 6 weeks. YAY!!:biggrin_25525:

Brent
    Derry, NH

SuchatruckinLady Thanks this.
  11. bill122250

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    Brent

Will he pick you up in NH.

I have hazmat, tanks and double/triples.

Maybe I'll go get my passport. Anything to help. I pm'ed you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.