after orientation w/swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Pillsbury, Oct 5, 2008.

1. wellgolf

wellgolf Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Boise
    I would like to know about apu's myself. About what the % of Swift trucks have them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Retired In Nevada

Retired In Nevada Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    And for the Swift trucks not equipped with APUs, what is Swift's idling policy?

I ask here because different Swift recruiters give me different answers to the question.

So, I would like to hear the real world answer from Swift drivers.

4. irishtrucker81

irishtrucker81 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2009
    nashua nh
    am i responsible for any out of pocket cash IE food or anything else and if so what and about how much do i need to bring and what should i bring with me as far as everything elce cloths paper work or anything elce u can think of please let me know asap i leave for ny on DEC 14 and i just what to be as ready as i can be so i can be ready to drive and start my new life as a professional driver at swift :biggrin_2552::biggrin_25524:
    [​IMG]

5. bill122250

bill122250 Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    I have not seen Swift truck with an APU. I am on a dedicated account and we have to stay below 10% idle time. But, I am in New England and we are realy close to the time when the trucks will have to be run at night. I have a bunk heater in m y truck and it keeps sleeper nice and warm at night.

6. KCGuy

KCGuy Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    bill122250
    What kind of bunk heater do you have?

7. bill122250

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    I have a wabasco heater. it is a heater that is under the bunk in the storage compartment. If I leave it on high and keep the curtain closed it will drive you out of the sleeper. I keep it set on low and it will cycle on and off. I keep it so it isn't hot and comfortsable to sleep. i have a sleeping bag and between the 2 I am warm all night.

8. KCGuy

KCGuy Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Bill122250 Thanks for the reply.

9. druid2874

druid2874 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Swift trucks have no APU's it depends on what year of truck you get if it has a Temp start. Basically you have a thermostat box in the truck set the temp where you want it starts and shuts of the tuck to keep the temp where you have set it sorta like a reefer. Only Volvo's have them and Columbia's. use manly in the summer time idle time in summer is 30% and below winter time all most all the trucks have Wabasco heaters and they want idle time at 10% and below now if you are in and area that is below 20 then they want you to keep truck running or at lest let it idle for 2 hours every 4 hours I have and older Volvo that has a temp start i like it some drivers don't
    the trucks they have is Volvo 670,780 and 630. Columbia's and some kw 660 and pro stars and teams get T-2000 they are getting more Pro stars now tho

10. bill122250

Jan 21, 2009
    Grafton, MA
    I am out of Syracuse and my terminal has Vo9lvo's and Pro Stars. The O/O have columbias and some kw's. I have a 2007 volvo with double bunks. I don't know what number it is. The main thing is my wabasco works good. It keeps me warm at night and I leave it set on a low temp.

11. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I was just wondering how much time do you get to get yourself settled into your own truck after the mentor stage? Are you immediately dispatched or do you get a day? I'm a cleanly type and I would like to get myself organized and give the truck a good cleaning--you never know who was in the truck last. Maybe a truck wash, too.Also, if you find something seriously wrong with the truck that needs a day or two to repair, what accomodations are you afforded? A motel or sleep in the bunk of the truck or on some well-worn couch in the drivers' lounge?Finally, considering the fleet makeup, what is the most likely make and model I will be assigned?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.