after orientation w/swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Pillsbury, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I was given about 12 hrs before my 1st load... which was a 45 mile run to get me used to the truck.

Sleeping.... if the truck will run to keep you warm/cool... you'll probably sleep in it and hang out in the "lounge" during actual repairs. They'll consider all of this to be "rest" time and expect you to drive immeadiately on repair (ok, a HUMAN DM won't...). Some GOOD DM's will spring for a hotel, some jerks will expect the above or you to sleep in a spare truck.

All that aside, if there is a major problem you'll most likely be issued a different rig. A friend of mine tore up 2 rigs on pretrip inspection and was finally issued a very nice Volvo the next day.

The trouble is that the driver leaving the rig doesn't report the problems. He just hops in his new toy (or personal car) and flees.... :biggrin_25511: I can't tell you how many loaners I rejected as unsafe.

highflight1985 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    oops. missed the Q on rigs.

Heavy Haul is Freightliners 2002 (rebuilt) to 2006, and Volvo's 2005-2010. Swift also has some Kenworth's and Internationals 2007-2010. If you have pics of the terminal manager coming out of the local cathouse, you might get a new one......:biggrin_255::biggrin_255:

Swift was very unhappy with 2007+ freightshakers for HH applications so they started doing ground up rebuilds from the boneyard. New engines, Tranny's, suspension, bags, air lines, etc. Believe me, I had one (2002, Miss Daisy) and it was a delight to drive.....:biggrin_25514: The actual mileage was over 1,000,000. She ran with 60k in the box at 63mph and pulled low 7's in the mpg.

cookie278 and highflight1985 Thank this.
  4. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    @Palazon: Thanks so much for your response... Do you know the models of Freightliners, Volvos, etc.? I think I'll stick with the non-blackmail approach. Butt kissing works, but it just takes longer. :biggrin_25522: I take it from your comment that you'd prefer the Kenworth's or Internationals over the former?

@Admins: Would you mind leaving my posts alone? I'm having the darndest time finding my posts after you play with them. If I may ask, what harm did it do to have my question as its own thread? Especially since the most recent post to this thread you merged mine into is nearly 5 months old. Answer in PM if you wish, or not at all... Just please, "leave our kids alone." :biggrin_25525:

5. nathanl23

nathanl23 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Oklahoma,OK
    when your mentor drop kicks you off his truck you have to take a few classes and pass a few test then they take you to meet your future DM he/she should talk to you for a min or so and show you how important it is for you to do your mic10 every day and then they ask do you want to go home for few days or do you want to get rolling
    i went home and came back pack ready to move into my future truck but i lived near my terminal and could do that but when i got back singed for my truck and moved into it my DM asked if i wanted to go home for the night (maybe because i lived nearby)i had 12 hrs to wast and run the batters down (a fan will kill your trucks batters) on my truck before my first five mile trip from the terminal to the drop. if i was you i would ask if you can get a truck and take it home or should you go home and come back ready to roll within a few hrs of singing for your truck. if truck needs repairs ask for an other if your truck breaks down after the first night start asking for an other truck. as for accommodations if you have to ask for it you dont want it, some terminals have moldy beds for you sleep on others made deals with th roach coach down the street and others just show you the couch in the drivers lounge.
    blackmail and or butt kissing don't work for getting a good truck just good pretrips. so before singing for the truck pretrip it
    as for which truck is better you have to look at a few things first
    1 how long are you going to run before you go back home
    2 how long are you going to run before you go back home
    3 just guess what i was going to type
    if you plain on running at all do not i repeat do not get a kw 660 they are to small. they only have enough room for a week max of supplies and clothing but the KW t2000 are okay not for teams, no good on sharp turns (compared to a Volvo) or heavy loads (39000 box max) but good anyways as a newbie (to swift) you want get a KW unless it's tore up.
    Internationals never drove one just heard they don't have enough storage. good for three to four weeks max. but as newbie (to swift) if you get one you won't have it for long.
    which levies the Volvo's now the vn680 are the nicest they have the most room and are the biggest trucks they got next to the freight shakers (only HH) next to the heaviest (KW T2000) good for living on the road. VN 670's two bunk high rise cab
    can pull any load even water and beer loads out of Texas without scaling more than two times. but don't fill er up unless you like moving you fifth wheel (heavy on the steers) okay for living on the road. now for the VN 6something's lighter smaller can pull any load without scaling a lot but only good for two weeks max on the road

as a swifty i had a 2007 VN670 loved it, hated it, and loved it with a pull of a fuse i could run it all night and swift knew none the wiser (never shut truck off but had a 0.00 idle time)
    as a o/o i had a 2008 t2000 which i loved it because it had space, power, a APU, and speed ( 68 mph) but my cb never work right in it. in 2009 i got my 2009 KW660 which bankrupt me i should have stayed in my t2000 but oh well

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I take it from your comment that you'd prefer the Kenworth's or Internationals over the former?

Heck no! I loved my old gal (Miss Daisy). But like most drivers... we all want the shiny new toy..LOL.

Now everything I drive is OD or desert cammo... Do you have any idea how funny it is to see a 07 Freightliner (US Army) with only 500 miles on the odometer?

M915A4 Thanks this.
  7. tonyjxn

tonyjxn Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have a question. I have my CDL but i havent driven in over a year. I was wondering if Swift will make me go to their school for a refresher course. If so how much will it cost me. Also if they give me a test and i pass will i still have to pay for a refresher course or can i just go out with a trainer.

8. Lugnut1968

Lugnut1968 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Newnan Ga
    Most places these days need one or two years experience in the last three years. As long as you meet that I would not imagine they would send you back through a school.

9. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Highflight when I was in Phoenix I looked inside several used comapny trucks on the line for reissue. They were very clean. If that is an indication of the other terminals you can just move right in.

10. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I would hope they are cleaned out after each driver, but you never really know for sure. Still going to bring the Lysol and the Armorall, and take it to the self-wash & vacuum as soon as possible. It's my new home--I'll start out with it clean and keep it that way.

11. Lugnut1968

Lugnut1968 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Newnan Ga
    Definately bring ALL kinds of cleaning supplies if you are picking up a truck from the Decatur terminal. Over my 2 years with Swift (and 15 or so trucks) I have yet to see a single truck that has actually been cleaned out inside at that terminal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.