Agricultural Exemption

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by POS#2, Jul 9, 2020.

1. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Well, this is very interesting. This means that all time spent running around to the various shipper's to pick up is all logged "PC". and then after being up 24 to 36 hours, you are good to go for 11 hours of driving.
    What could go wrong with this scenario???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Sounds like old times before all this refined regulations. Farm products, unprocessed, load and roll..

4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    You do know that statistically, Ag Exempt carriers not subject to HOS have lower accident rates than the average OTR carrier subject to HOS, right?

There's always going to be idjits that abuse the system, but the vast, vast majority will just use the flexibility to rest when they need to, instead of when the box tells them to.

SteveBausch, xsetra and Long FLD Thank this.
  5. SteveBausch

SteveBausch Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well...
    I'm currently hauling milk, and the ELD isn't set up with any sort of geofence to prompt or obligate a change of status. If there is a defacto test of "when you're tired, take a nap, and don't work too hard" it's milk hauling.

Cows don't produce much in the heat, so I'm not working much, which is great for me. I've got this fixer upper house demanding my time.

Whether Omnitracs has specific programming for geo fencing, etc. I don't care.

In the winter, it does get crazy. But in the summer, you have time to yourself. If you want weekends off, though, don't expect that. There's a time limit on the tanker wash tags, and after 72 or 96 hours past the wash, nobody will accept the milk.

At the moment, I have no reason to look for another job. Do understand there are no assigned trucks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Reason for edit: also...
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I run Keep Truckin and I have an app on my tablet called Radius On Map. Drop a pin where you’re loading and set the radius at 150 miles and you’ll know the boundary where you have to switch duty status. Then just figure out where you can safely stop and switch.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.