Air Bags

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Lite bug, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Can air bags be used to make disconnecting and connecting loaded gooseneck trailer ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I just ordered a firestone airbag setup and will get it in about 2 weeks. Not a gooseneck setup but I'll see how much height difference I can actually get inflating the bags while loaded if that helps.
    I disconnect my trailer every week, i'm actually sorry I didn't get hydraulic landing gear upgrade :D

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't think so, because you have leaf spring suspension that is already at its expected ride height. The airbags just assist and aren't really meant to rise the right height a lot. You'd need to have an actual 4 link airbag suspension to be able to dump the bags to unhook as a semi can.

24kHotshot and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Yes that is what I thought and putting this out there to see if it being done by someone. Thanks

24kHotshot and crocky Thank this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, I'm actually toying with adding double air bags helpers to my truck or going with a full airbag 4 link set up. The ride on my 5500 is umm horrible on those lovely concrete highways they keep building all over the place. It will beat you to death... way worse than my F550 was.

They actually make a front and back air ride system for my truck, but it's insanely expensive. I was thinking of taking to a local fab guy to make 4 links for at least my rear axle. They want like $5k just for the rear setup in this vid.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    24kHotshot Thanks this.
  7. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Thinking about summer heat and at 66 years old looking to making dropping loaded easer.

crocky and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  8. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    The rough ride is one of my biggest problems with my truck. I'm beat by day 4. Hoping the firestone airbags I ordered would help even a little.
    Also giving my truck a diet. Building a bracket on the trailer for my truck spare and getting rid of anything I don't need immediately from the tool boxes.
    Have a welder friend willing to copy my whole upfit in aluminum but I dont think the weight loss will justify the cost.

Also need new shocks for the rear. Don't know what to get. Any recommendations would be great.

Lite bug and crocky Thank this.
  9. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Hydraulic landing gear upgrade

Lite bug and crocky Thank this.
  10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I edited my post. check out the vid.. it's a super expensive set up but they might make it for yours as well

Lite bug Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    yeah, that's the better option..

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted