air brake question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chefy79, Feb 14, 2011.

1. chefy79

chefy79 Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2010
    chicago il
    learning air brakes now and dont understand
    why the red emergency says not for
    parking but, when parking today at
    class i applied the yellow parking brake and
    the red emergency brake. thought it
    was not for parking? let me know
    where to find this answer.. peace

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bulldozerbert

bulldozerbert Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    the red one only parks the trailer, the yellow the tractor.

4. bulldozerbert

bulldozerbert Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ontario
    most of them if you pull the yellow, the red one pops out as well.

In the winter I usually put my thumb on the red one, so as not to apply the trailer brakes. They can freeze on if wet.

x1Heavy and Truck559839 Thank this.
  5. virgil tatro

virgil tatro Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus montana
    The reason the red one says not for parking is because the yellow one is the one intended for parking. The yellow and the red really do the same thing although the yellow sets the tractor brakes and the red sets the trailer brakes.. if you pull the yellow the red will pop out also(it should) but if you pull the red by its self the yellow stays in.. When i set my parking brake I almost always only set the tractor brakes holding the red button while I pull the yellow.. only under special circumstances do I set both.. I hope I did not confuse you...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    It's not to be used for parking because at one time the trailers had single diaphragm brake pots & after the air leaked out the brakes would not be applied. There are still some trailers like that out there. This is also why in training you were probably told to back up close to the trailer, then hook up & supply the air before trying to back under it. It's kind of funny to watch somebody try to hookup to one of these types of trailers as it takes off away from them. :biggrin_255::yes2557:

x1Heavy, Lurchgs, GasHauler and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Good answers above.

Also, friendly hint: When parking, set the trailer brake 1st (red), give a small (gentle) tug then set the tractor brake (yellow). This will set tension on the 5th wheel lock and prevent some yahoo from pulling your 5th wheel release while you doing business in the truck stop. You can do the same thing with your Johny brake if equiped.

I drove for Swift and found that some clown had pulled my handle while I was grabbing breakfast:biggrin_2551:. Lucky for me, I always do a walkaround. Just want save others the problems of a dropped trailer. And yes, I was parked in a slot, not the fuel island:biggrin_25520:.

x1Heavy and Mr Ed Thank this.
  8. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    the red button is for trailer air supply---goes to the red line at back of truck--trailer air supply
    the yellow button---when out--- exhausts air from the spring brake chambers allowing the spring to to apply brakes on all of the axles equipped with spring brakes
    if you pull out the yellow button,the red will pop as well---and both the truck and trailer spring brakes will apply-- and when you drop the trailer after unhooking ,you will have the yellow in,allowing truck to be moved--and red in causing trailer brakes to be on(air released)

sorry i am not real good at explaining--but the moral of the storey is that the red button is really trailer supply
    but if you pull yellow out while holding the red in,only the truck brakes will apply
    this is what is normally done in winter so that your trailer brakes dont freese on while parked (probabely dont want you doiing that in school)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Beer Runner

Beer Runner Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Canada
    They were called Maxie brakes. If you didn't hook up the lines the trailer would take off on you while you were trying to back under it. Another way around this problem was to use a big piece of lumber behind the trailer tires, or a curb, or what ever. I haven't seen that setup in years. Another way was to let the trailer air build up then apply the brakes, then back under it. Sorry it's been a long time since I have worked with type of trailer. Hope I explained it right.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    Maxie brakes are what is used now. Maxie Brakes link:yes2557:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Beer Runner

Beer Runner Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Canada
    Or what ever those brakes were called, I can't remember. Trucker 101 you've been at it as long as I have so what is the system called. I thought it was Maxie.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.