Air brake:

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jessis the best, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Jessis the best

Jessis the best Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I have a class b with airbrake. I am going to get a class a. Do I have to retake the airbrake test if I have it already for my class b?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    No. But if you plan on getting anything else like. Hazmat or tanker or doubles...etc do it all at once. Or its right around 103.00 each new one you get.
    Just transferred from va to me. It was 187.00 plus 85 for the bew backtound check. All I have is hz and tanker

4. Jessis the best

Jessis the best Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I would recommend you be ready to test when you go to the DMV. I have been hearing some reports (but not confirmed!) from around the US over the last few years where Class B types have been told they have to retake everything including the General Knowledge test. There are a lot of (redacted) working behind those counters. On the subject of the airbrakes. It's easier to understand if you remember airbrakes is really not an endorsement, it is a test that once passed removes a restriction. This removal should follow you as you get Class A.

dibstr and feldsforever Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    @Bigwin123 is right.

Hazmat isn’t an easy test, but doubles and tanker is. They’re worth getting.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Here in MS when upgrading from B to A they do require you to retake the General Knowledge test. What seems even sillier to me is that if you have no air brake restriction on your B, you do not have to take the Air Brake test. So if you have no AB restriction on a B you have to take GK and Combo tests to get an A.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    When I was in class getting my cdl. There were students that came is week 3 of 5 week course. I was told these were the Class B drivers. Tho they left once they had their class A credential

9. Roadgeek395

Roadgeek395 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    In California if you upgrade from a Class B to Class A you have to retake everything.

10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    In most states you will not have to retake the air brake written knowledge test, however you will have to do the in-cab portion again as the air brake leak down and physical test is slightly different from class B to A. You will also need to properly identify and inspect the air brake components on the truck and trailer during the pre-trip portion of the skills test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.