Air building u until 60 psi

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Rasim, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    had to jump start the truck today it is cold 16 degrees hooked to a different trailer and left the yard all of a sudden low air pressure! Popped the air breaks and waited for air to build up but stuck on 60 and going lower....made it to the yard with no pressure. Went to napa to buy air coolant/alcohol maybe airlines froze...added some in air tanks and red airline through gladhand...turn truck on air only builds up to 60 psi and a little above. Anyone know what is going on?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Something is stuck, probably on the air dryer. Drain your tanks in the winter. For airline anti freeze I use HEET or STP gasoline fuel treatment. It is cheap, and the bottles are perfect for getting the fluid into the gladhands.

4. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    I have it...do i pour it in the blue airline or red airline

5. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    This is priceless information. Real world stuff that is on the CDL exam

6. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    kill the engine and pop the hood. hear any leaks? last time that happened to me it was the air governor.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Use a soap and water in a old windex spray to confirm the leak. Mr Bubbles will show you the truth.

As far as making it back to yard with no pressure, either you had a old 70's or eariler trailer with no spring brakes to lock down or you dragged your tires on a locked down trailer. Your one post about going back to yard on no pressure makes no sense. In addition your tractor protection valve would have kicked in too. You would be going no where.

Remember if a big semi truck fails the standard check exam on the air pressure and air braking system you do not move it one inch until you determine what the problem is a remedy it. This is most basic taught to everyone wanting a CDL.

8. Rasim

Rasim Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    No leaks i tried red line and unscrewed 4 airtanks added the antifreeze in there as well but no effect.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It will serve you well to research anti freeze for airlines and why we do not use them often. It takes time for them to work, about a hour sometimes. Once the alcohol evaps the water inside the lines freeze again.

And sometimes trucks and trailers will not accept this kind of abuse with liquid antifreeze for air lines, the bags and so forth will not work well over time.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  10. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Pour it in both lines, pump the breaks. When she breaks lose, go get a new filter for the air dryer.

11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Pull the air line that feeds dryer, to see if you have air there.
    Right or wrong, I've put air antifreeze in that line before reconnecting.

mslashbar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.