Air compressor safety valve keeps purging

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by MercerDriver, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MercerDriver

MercerDriver Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Just started recently on my 2003 Detroit DDEC4 engine.

On the compression cycle, the safety valve on the compressor itself keeps purging air. The more RPM, the more frequent it is.

Checked air supply hose to air dryer: no kinks or bends. Took out the unloader valve: looks good, greased it up just in case put it back in, problem persists. On the "off" cycle, everything is okay.

Can the air dryer purge valve be the problem? Please help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well what's your air pressure? Those little safety valves are designed to vent at around 150 psi. If its venting at a lower pressure I'd change out the safety valve first. They're only a couple bucks.

4. MercerDriver

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Air pressure seems to be okay. Compressor kicks into compression mode around 105 psi and kicks off at around 130 psi.

One thing I did forget to mention is that the dryer purge valve doesn't purge air at end of the compression cycle. That's why I thought it was the purge valve that's bad.

Does the air pressure in the cabin get its info before or after the dryer? If after, maybe it is over 150 psi, and I'm just not seeing it on the gauges?

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When was the last time your air dryer was serviced. I had one that was so full of stuff that it couln't purge right anymore.

6. MercerDriver

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Governor, filter cartridge, purge valve all replaced about 1.5 years ago. By the way, it's a Bendix AD-IS dryer. Seems like I'm having 2 problems at once.

1. Compressor safety valve keeps popping on compression cycle although dash gauges show regular psi
    2. Purge valve won't dump air out at 130 psi. The compressor somehow shuts off by itself without the valve purging.

7. MercerDriver

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Replaced air purge valve, problem solved. The old one had lots of crud and oil on it. Must have been stuck in the closed position, building up pressure.

TheBaron97 and xsetra Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.