Air Conditioner Problem 3 shops can't find problem so far

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Edgrmndz, Aug 9, 2018.

1. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Well, did you get it fixed? And if so, what did they do?

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I swear I’m going to start up a business converting old Prostars to old-school manual switch AC. There is no ####ing reason for AC to be that complex, nor should it cost thousands of dollars to fix it on a 6 year old truck.

Snailexpress and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    If you go over to Rawze.com, Rawze did that to his truck using Adrino switches. He has a ProStar.

What I did, was to dig the Ambient Air Temp Sensor out from under the radiator and moved it up to the windshield wiper cowl. Then I recharged the system using straight refrigerant, no dye. Since doing that, everything works and blows ice cold. I have well over ten thousand dollars in my AC system after four years of it not working, or working sporadically. I did those two things in my driveway, move that sensor and no dye or straight refrigerant in the system. I would like all of that money back, the fix was simple.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Edgrmndz Thanks this.
  7. Edgrmndz

Edgrmndz Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2016
    No it's not fixed yet. The mechanic it's trying to make me change it to a system without the computer but he wants to charge close to $3,000. I don't think so!, I'm looking for another a/c guy to look into it.

8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Your best bet, take it to an International dealer, have them do a simple diagnostic with Diamond Logic. Tell them you want to watch what pops up on the computer. What you are doing now, taking to independent shops is just emptying your wallet. These systems are a PIA, and you know that.

Have the dealer fix what they find, may need a new high pressure switch or something simple, fix it. And then...

The only thing that fixed mine, as I have stated before, is to dig that Ambient Air Temperature Sensor out from under the radiator, in the harness on the driver side. Dig that out, you may have to splice in a few feet of wire, move it up to the windshield wiper cowl and clip it on there. The sensor comes with a clip, imagine that?

Next, evacuate the refrigerant out of the system, install straight refrigerant, NO dye!

Do those things and you should have AC.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Here is the Adrino Fix that your guy wanted $3000 to install. The parts are around $25, the programming is at this link... Prostar ac

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.