air dryer purging every 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by peabody747, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Condi

Condi Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    i hope you find a good lonely spot for your 10:D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Ain't that the truth! I pulled in to one of my favorite hidey-holes the other day which has room for about 3 trucks. Dead end in the back of an industrial park. There was a clean looking Cascadia sitting there idling. As soon as I got shut down and dinner on I started hearing the sound off every freakin' minute.

4. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I've also got a 2017 t680 with an isx15, used Melton truck. It's always used a little coolant and sometimes when I shut it down for the night the next morning the coolant levels look pretty low until I turn the truck on for a few minutes.
    If you have an APU you could be losing coolant there. Especially check the hoses as they come out of it and have a near 90 degree turn, I found those leaking a little.
    As far as the the air dryer cartridge goes if you've never changed it then it's probably going to be a mother ####er to get off. Whatever you do, do not try and do the screwdriver trick on it because the desiccant will go through your air system if you do. If you can get the cartridge off and changed you'll probably want to go ahead and change the purge valve. They are about 100 bucks and you'll need to take a tension ring off that can also be a pain in the ###, use safety glasses.

5. peabody747

peabody747 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2022
    funny thing is I called kw they suggested change the air dryer but guess what at least this location the air dryers our on back order and no date yet yup still having part supply issues but the have plenty of the valve replacement kits

Vampire and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. peabody747

Jan 1, 2022
    you all wrong, turns out the water pump broke

7. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I thought you said you were losing coolant but didn't see any leaks? So, was it actually the water pump leaking but you couldn't see the leak?

8. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Well we did ask questions along the way. To try n help narrow down some stuff. Some of us are trying to help you figure it out and we only have four mins to read thru every thing

Dadetrucking305 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. peabody747

Jan 1, 2022
    on this paccar it's a known issue, but it doesn't show you a leak probably drips and evaporates, I was getting steam off the motor. But the issue starts small then grows big. So I never seen any leaks until yesterday actually
    the wrong is in the simple fact that anytime you mention a antifreeze leak with no signs first things always mentioned is egr cooler or bunk heater6

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Paccar air fitting all leak. They suck.

Go piece by piece and replace the plastic crap with brass fittings.

I paid a shop 2 hours to find leaks, they found exactly 1. Truck still loses all the air in 30 min, without any hiss. I think the cab air ride must be leaking, but this setup for air is ####.

Rideandrepair and peabody747 Thank this.
  11. peabody747

Jan 1, 2022
    it's so sad how paccar fubar these kwt680s. But the way mine acting most certainly points to the air governor, changing that tomorrow, first the #### anti freeze hoses

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.