Air leak- any help?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 13letter, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    while the engine is running and you are observing the air leak, turn the fan on manual, if the air leak disappears it's the fan hub, you have a newer style horton fan hub called a drivemaster?????? they can leak internally while the engine is running and you will never hear it. they have 3 different places they can leak from internally, look for a slight greasie residue around the edge of the hub where the aluminum and steel pully come together, should be some grease on the edge of the blades also

if so it's the hub, rebuild it with a rebuild kit from a company called gold top, this is a better than horton's by a mile

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigstretch

Bigstretch Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    NW IL
    I don't think it is the brake chambers. Said it doesn't matter if the knobs are in or out. Usually when a brake chamber goes bad, it will do one of 2 things. Leak externally, or cause the exhaust port on the relay valve to blow air like there is no tomorrow. A bad quick release valve will also cause the exhaust port to blow on the relay valve, if the QRV has a signal line to the relay valve.

This link should help troubleshoot. I'm having a bigger problem than you are. The truck in question, the air compressor kicks back in less than 10 seconds after it shuts off. Haven't had a chance to work on it since someone else sent me this link. Hope it helps-

http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/BendixCompressor%20TroubleshootBW1971.pdf

Could as simple as the check valve on the air dryer on the line going to the wet tank. It's not what my problem is though. somewhere else. My valve is good, as is the governor.

4. 13letter

13letter Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Fulton, IL
    Wow! Thanks guys! Back at the shop finally, for awhile. Gonna start checking all this again. The 2 lines from the gov. are plastic and are bundled w/ a lot of others, so hard to find a leak on those so far. Checking the fan hub now. With truck running, fan switch on. See if it still leaks. Thought of that last nite too mid-dream, as I hadn't tried that yet either

5. 13letter

Oct 19, 2008
    Fulton, IL
    Found it! The little #######! The air line to the fan hub from the solenoid. Checked w/ truck running and fan sw. on, leak went away. Fitting leaked putting a twist on it, then found a pihole in it at a rub spot. Runnin to town for a pc of line and hopefully problem solved.
    Thanks to all who replied. Appreciate it very much!

6. 13letter

Oct 19, 2008
    Fulton, IL
    Yessir, its fixed. And, eliminated possible rub thru later with a length of split loom on the new line. Another case of the simpest little things causing the biggest headaches! Thanks again to all of you!

7. droy

droy Heavy Load Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    O K;
    Who wins the "I correctly diagnosed the problem" prize this round, and how many $$$$$$$ is it?

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    What a great helpful group we have here!:yes2557:

9. cat from the valley

cat from the valley Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2008
    jamaica
    thank u your all too kind i accept all responsibilities for solving this problem, i will have a pepsi thank u shaken not stired

Lilbit Thanks this.
  10. 13letter

Oct 19, 2008
    Fulton, IL
    This link should help troubleshoot. I'm having a bigger problem than you are. The truck in question, the air compressor kicks back in less than 10 seconds after it shuts off. Haven't had a chance to work on it since someone else sent me this link. Hope it helps-

http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/BendixCompressor TroubleshootBW1971.pdf

Could as simple as the check valve on the air dryer on the line going to the wet tank. It's not what my problem is though. somewhere else. My valve is good, as is the governor.[/quote]

This link is great. Worth saving for sure.

Bigstretch; wondering if you found the air problem you were working on yet?

11. Bigstretch

Bigstretch Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    NW IL
    Not yet. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Been busy in the W9, and the Mack with the problem has been moving grain. That CH has almost 1 million miles on the clock, so it could be anything. The pressure drop is internal somewhere. All of the external leaks have been fixed.

It isn't the fan clutch. It has the bi-metal spring thermal clutch like what you'd see on a car or pickup truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.