Air pressure issue

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ChrisRob23, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ChrisRob23

ChrisRob23 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I have a 2012 Volvo 670 D13 motor, I am having problems with my air pressure. I build air just fine but the psi gets up to 140 when driving down the road. It releases the air as a weird sound every 5-10 seconds. I’ve changed out a safety valve on the rear of my air tank this morning so that it will hold the air. Now that I changed that it still gains 140 psi and make a weird sound would it be the compressor that is causing this problem? Or is it the governor since it builds air just fine it’s just having troubles releasing the air the right way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Sounds like governor isn’t kicking out and compressor runs steady .. That’s very hard on compressor if that’s the case

RET423, mhyn and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  4. cliffster21

cliffster21 Light Load Member

May 14, 2013
    Mechanicsburg, Pa
    I had a similar problem with my truck, ended up being the air drier not sending signal to the governor on the compressor to shut-off. There is an air line running from the drier up to the governor that stops the compressor from running, if the compressor isn't getting that signal, it will continue to run and the drier will build up to max pressure and purge over and over. Look for an air leak in the small line going from the drier to back up to the compressor. If it is leaking, then the compressor will never stop running. I ended replacing my air drier to fix my problem.

5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Air governor, replace it ASAP. Price a new air dryer too, no idea what the one you need costs, but sometimes it is just cheaper to replace that entire unit, you should get a new filter with that new or reman unit.

Dan47 Thanks this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    FYI , the compressor never stops running, the governer just puts in bypass mode and sends the air into the intake,

mhyn and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  7. Pipe 40

Pipe 40 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Toowoomba Queensland
    Non return valve on the wet tank jamming maybe if sound is coming from compressor over pressure valve

8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    most of the time no compressor cutout is the governer, there cheap pretty easy to change. and don't last forever id probably throw one on to start unless you see/find a major air leak on the signal line. the weird sound your hearing every few seconds is probably one of a few different pressure relief valves doing there job and keeping things from going kaboom.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.