Air shift pto will not disengage.....

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dodsonf855, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Dodsonf855

Dodsonf855 Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2020
    South arkansas
    Pto will not disengage. Checked air switch is working correct. Pulled shifter from pto found gear tooth hold fork.... rolled trans around by barring engine didn’t see any missing teeth. Previously had a pump lock up and scatter pto.. my question is would you refill with oil and run unless it makes noise and gives some indication of problems???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You may have to add a spacer plate under the pto to get enough free play in pto gear so it will come out of mesh with no bind, you should be able to feel a bit of slop when its in gear when you turn the shaft when the pump is off?

Dodsonf855 Thanks this.
  4. Dodsonf855

Mar 15, 2020
    South arkansas
    Yea it’s got slack. I’m just questioning whether to dig further or fill with oil and make a run at it... doesn’t rattle or show sign of problems.

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I just went through this with the truck I drive. A bearing failed in the PTO, and I couldn't turn the PTO off. We found bearing pieces stuck in the shift fork, preventing it from releasing.

They replaced the PTO, checked the transmission out, and I went back to work. Two days later it happened again. Found more pieces in the PtO, presumably from the original failure, which we think were laying in the bottom of the transmission.

The end result was flushing the transmission three times, and running it. Been fine since.

Dodsonf855, baha and mile marker 27 Thank this.
  6. Dodsonf855

Mar 15, 2020
    South arkansas
    That’s what I was wanting to hear!! Thanks... the previous pto blew up 2 years or so ago when the pump locked up and Grenaded... its a wonder this hasn’t showed its head before.

7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Yeah they flushed the transmission three times in an effort to clean the debris out. The first two times there was debris still in there. Which meant dropping the PTO three times in total. It was a real PITA for a week or so, but we got through it.

Dodsonf855 Thanks this.
  8. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Had the same problem with my tri axle dump PTO was stuck ingaged and sometimes wouldn't engage. They found a tooth broke off in the trans and it sometimes would get stuck in the PTO,got that gear replaced in the trans.$$$

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.