Air starter tank

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Cohendmr, Sep 17, 2020.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The movie “Maximum Overdrive”. The scene were the old White WC wrecker at the service station that fired up and you see the “ghost” put the twin sticks in gear and the Mack in “Road Warrior” are great examples of air start in a movie.

rollin coal, 650cat425 and spsauerland Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Reliability of cold start is not what comes to mind in my experience with air starters. Your rig is probably easier to start than the old cab over Freightliners at Consolidated Freightways. Back in the 80’s and 90’s I started them often. My recollection is that they were impressive to hear and very easy to use when the air tanks were full and the motor was warm. The problems I recall are after a long weekend in subzero temps they were not so easy. In fact we often would air the brake system up and drag the tractor around the parking lot with another tractor to pull start them after unsuccessfully trying several times with the air starter. If I were you I would think about possibly being out someplace on the road and not having a readily available source of air to get you going. I realize another trucks gladhand works, but it isn’t always readily available. It may not be much different than dead batteries, but any automobile can jump start you while not everyone has an air compressor capable. It seems like it would be more work when something went wrong away from your home shop. Just my opinion and something to consider.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    201 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    If I were tech savvy I would link the site, but I am not. Go to this guys YouTube post and the old Corn Flake does sound great starting. I don’t plan to convert my Pete just yet. 5ECB191A-F74A-43AB-A25D-F173ACEE3654.png

650cat425 Thanks this.
  5. Cohendmr

Cohendmr Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2019
    Good day, while I have a few minutes after y pre trip this morning.

On tank sizing, 30 gal min recomended, that will give you one really good crank and another short 7 - 10 sec burst in a stubborn start condition or 4-5 normal quick shots.
    Generally the tanks mounted on a truck were of the same diameter as the fuel tank and would use the same brackets with a capacity between 50 -60 gal, some such as on some old b Mack's were aluminum and polished out nice. Aand with a matching oil tank on the other side they looked sharp. :)
    Plumbing, consists of a 1.5" air line from the tank to the air starter and a standard supply line from the air system.
    The main issues were leaks, but like any system on a truck basic maintenance would prevent it. Do you let corrosion build up on battery terminals? Do you let air leaks in your brake system or suspention go? No you correct the issue. The air start is just considered magic by most people, just like any old mechanical engine today. Duh, where the computer hook up to tell me what wrong? Nope, Nope, guess I cant fix it......
    Sorry about the sarcasm. It really a SIMPLE system.
    1, check valve from primary air to start tank, the same as between the air compressor and primary tank that fails due to moisture and heat and most people dont even realize it. If you have a slow leak of your system and cant figure it out chances are it is that check valve. Especially if you get oil in the system.
    2, start relay valve, this is is the main air leak point, after years of use th seals degrade and allow a slow leak to form. If you have have a slow leak in this system pull the muffler off the starter and slap a patch of duct tape over the hole and if it bulges out chances are you are going to have to break down and replace a couple of o rings.....the tragedy ;-D
    3, luber, there a few different types but usual it is looped into the return fuel line, evry time you hit the starter it injects like .3cc to keep every thing lubed. Failure is usually indicated by slow crank and excessive air noise, no different than never oiling your impact gun. During routine maintenance like my over head I'd pull the oiler off and clean the built up gunk out and if needed replace the 10 cent o rings.
    That is the extent of the "magic",, other than these few things they are very reliable
    When matched with the newer electronic engines of the 90s you had even less issue with starting.
    There were many times I went out to the lot after the old truck was sitting for a couple of months with a 9vdc batt (to power the computer) and a portable air tank and fired it up just to run it.
    Not including the hazmat application benefit.
    An air start system will spin the engine faster,
    Can spin indefinitely as long as there is air available without really needing a cool down.
    Can save up to 200# in batteries and related cables.
    Will still start your truck in the morning when it is -20 out when you didn't know you puppy pulled your Jonny bar down turning on your brake lights for the whole night without your knowledge while sitting in a pull off in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. Not that it has ever happened to me, nope......uh....nope.
    As for some of the other issues some people have brought up. As I said I'm out for extended jaunts and run close to gross. I have an apu for anti-ide and fuel savings. To have reliable starts I have to use six batteries for this system. Installing the air system will let me drop 4 batteries and associated heavy cables. I have an auxiliary compressor on the apu for added air and that only added 20# or so and with the arctic package I made up for it only adding mabe 30# including added coolant I havnt had a cold start or gelled fuel in several years.
    In closing... I'll ultimately be saving at least the weight of 2 -3 batteries ( not much but that is fuel I could load) add what I deem to be reliability with minimal upkeep to a already great overall system.......and ...and, you cant forget one of the most important factors when being an older owner operator that is still a kid at heart........THE COOL FACTOR!!!!!!!! :-D

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    The auxiliary air compressor is all you needed to say to change my mind. That takes my only issue out of your equation. I remember some of my regular deliveries the dock was inside the building. That was my favorite place to use the air starter as it magnified the sound for an extremely cool sound.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They sound like an air die grinder. I've heard enough of those on a daily basis in the shop :biggrin_2559:

650cat425 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.