Air system not operating correctly 2005 Volvo.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by tlhymes404, Aug 18, 2018.

1. tlhymes404

tlhymes404 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2018
    New compressor, new governor, new air dryer. Replaced all fittings at air tanks. No other air leaks can be found. At idle system will only build air to 65 psi. At full throttle system will build to 120 but when pressure release valve releases front tank drops to 100 psi and rear tank stays at 120. When back at idle both tanks slowly drop to 65 psi. Any idea on what to look at next?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You did not state Primary or Secondary air. only front and rear tanks.

What is your primary air doing and what is your secondary air doing.

Your compressor does not adequatly fill your air system at idle. That's a problem which needs a remedy from a mechanic. Your overall top pressures between 100-120 is adequate. I prefer both to be at or over 120 if at all possible and the Compressor have enough lungs to fill those tanks almost as fast as I can use up the air.

120 psi in either or both primary and secondary air supply will drain to 40 in a hurry if I need to.

4. tlhymes404

tlhymes404 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2018
    Primary and secondary fill to 65 psi At idle. Theyboth fill to 120 at full throttle but when the release valve on thedryer releases only the primary tank drops to 100 the secondary stays at 120

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok, your truck is not functioning properly at the air compressor. You should be able to fill to max on your tanks provided you had adequate atmosphere, altitude and so on.

I have never had a truck fail to completely and adequately fill both Primary and Secondary at idle and keep it there.

Second. There is a little too much difference between 100 and 120. It's not BAAAD... but most of my trucks again will fill to within a handful of digits apart.

6. FlyingA

FlyingA Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Sacramento, Ca
    Have you checked or replaced main charge line? Some times they will bleed air as they get older and harder

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Did you have this problem before you changed these parts?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.